Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: 2nd Hand Kit Registration Question

Default 2nd Hand Kit Registration Question

Hello all. Searching for an answer for my situation...

I bought a partially completed kit from the original owner who registered it with the FAA with an N-Number.

Kit is unfinished, thus airworthiness was never applied for.

The kit is listed as "deregistered" with the FAA due to "expiration".

My question is -When I send the FAA my Bill of Sale, do I need to re-register this number, or am I ok to register the kit in the unforeseen future with a new n-number?

All the forms say/are implied for aircraft, so kind of confusing how a kit that was never airworthy applies.

Dereg.jpg
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Default Re: 2nd Hand Kit Registration Question

Call the FAA folks in Oklahoma. Very pleasant people and eager to help!
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    Call the FAA folks in Oklahoma. Very pleasant people and eager to help!
    405-954-3116 or 866-762-9434 Now you don't have to look for the number. I would suggest having your phone on speaker, and surf the web or something while you wait, it might take a while for them to get to you, but they will eventually. I had a Kitfox 3 that was in the same situation as yours. Registration was even purged, which is the next step beyond expired, and they were able to get it back on the books and registered to me. Just jump through the hoops they tell you to and you should be good. JImChuk

Just to sum this up for anyone else who may have this issue....

Talked to FAA registration today as recommended. Very helpful gentleman who understood my confusion, and was forward about giving his name, number, and sending me printed info of what is explained below.

They are sending me the outline of an affidavit that the original owner has to sign and have notarized that says they didn't actually complete the kit, so they are not the manufacture. This is so the FAA can fix their paperwork.
    (you would think only a "complete" aircraft could be registered, but there is probably a step missing in my head that could make this make sense.)

The examiner recommends sending in the Bill of sale, the above affidavit, and the new registration info when the aircraft if close to being ready for its airworthiness.

He recommends sending it all in at once to prevent a loop of the same situation happening - Person eager to register the kit w/ unique N-number, thus establishing them as the builder, loosing ability/will to finish it, registration expiring, selling it, creating a registration jumble at the FAA.

Basically there is no time constraint on them needing the bill of sale copy.

Glad you will be getting it worked out. Us midwest Kitfoxers need to get a group thing going and do some flyouts! When we get ‘em flying that is... 😂
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I know this is contray to what the FAA guy suggested you do, but I would maybe try to get the paperwork up to date sooner. Never know, if you decide to sell it before it's done, there is one more complication for the new owner to deal with. He may think it's worth less because of it. Another angle is this if your state is like Mn, when your plane is registered with the FAA, the state comes after you for sales tax. What you paid now is what it was worth. Say you eventually get it all done, and then the state wants sales tax on it's total value. May be a big difference. Glad you got an answer right away. I'm sure it helped your peace of mind. JImChuk

I think no matter what, even if I sold it there would be an extra step since it was registered. Either the seller or I would be listed as the maker, and a buyer would have to turn in an affadavit, but I guess it would be one less now that I think of it.

Luckily tax is no issue in Ohio in my case, as aircraft are exempt from sales tax under "casual sale" which this sale was. (If the seller does not deal in aircraft, or is not some kind of dealer making large sales)

Another issue the could arise out of this early registration is your application for Repairman Certificate. If you are not the builder of record with the FAA for this aircraft, you cannot apply for the Repairman Certificate.

Ralph

Yep, that is what the affidavit I will have filled out will correct on the FAA's end.
    If this was not corrected, there would be an inconsistency between the registered manufacture, and the listed builder on the
    8050-88 "AFFIDAVIT OF OWNERSHIP FOR AMATEUR-BUILT AND OTHER NON-TYPE CERTIFICATED AIRCRAFT" that gets filled out when you are done with your build.