Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Bubble door hinge and weather strip

Default Bubble door hinge and weather strip

Bubble doors are finally fitted and I'm getting ready to install the hinges.

Question - Do I need to take into account the weatherstrip thickness before final placement and drilling for the hinges? Or am I overthinking this step. No mention of this in the book, just to install weatherstrip after covering and painting.

Also - do I use the provided weatherstrip (very old, 1998 but still usable) or are there better solutions for the bubble doors?

Thanks!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

Default Re: Bubble door hinge and weather strip

After another cup of coffee and some head scratching it makes sense to wait till the final install to drill the hinge bolt holes
    AFTER covering, paint, double sided tape and weather strip is installed.

Sound right?
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler

You can install the hinges now, but first put some small pieces of weatherstrip, etc. temporarily in the hinge area to space it out properly (you want some compression of the weatherstrip but not too much) then drill the holes.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I believe what Jim suggests is in the current version of the manual. Take a look online
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thanks guys

Brett Butler

So if I am understanding the manual correctly, its: backing plate, door frame, acrylic, hinge. The 1.5" weatherstripping the manual calls for at this point is used as a spacer between the acrylic and fuselage for drilling the top half of the hinges into the tabs, yes? The short pieces are then discarded with full length strips getting applied after paint?

Also, I see reference to needing to have the butt ribs in place prior to mounting. Is that prior to drilling into the hinge tabs on the fuselage or is that part of the reference to have the wings installed prior to attaching the lift struts? Basically, I don't have the wings yet, so am I dead in the water as far as getting the doors fitted?

Thanks.
    Steve
    SS7 in work

"if I am understanding the manual correctly, its: backing plate, door frame, acrylic, hinge. The 1.5" weather stripping the manual calls for at this point is used as a spacer between the acrylic and fuselage for drilling the top half of the hinges into the tabs, yes? The short pieces are then discarded with full length strips getting applied after paint?"

Correct.

"Also, I see reference to needing to have the butt ribs in place prior to mounting. Is that prior to drilling into the hinge tabs on the fuselage or is that part of the reference to have the wings installed prior to attaching the lift struts? Basically, I don't have the wings yet, so am I dead in the water as far as getting the doors fitted?"

Correct - IF you have not mounted your wings and have NOT set the butt rib in it's permanent location then YES your dead in the water in respect to the door fitment & hinges. You can get your door frames tweaked for fitment and install the bubble doors onto the frames. Be aware that the trim piece closeout above and the trim along the bottom edges of the door opening will impact your final door placement.

In my case I'm waiting until after paint to drill my hinge tabs so I can get the most accurate placement possible. The hinges are fabricated but NOT match drilled to the door frame or fuselage at this time. The tweaking of the door frames and mounting of the bubble doors to the frames in relation to the fuselage is done.

Hope this helps.

Brett Butler