Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Engine weight gain

Default Engine weight gain

My engine has gained too much weight over the last 7 years and must be removed:

engine2012.jpgengine2019.jpg

Actually, I spent the holiday weekend removing the HKS in prep for a 912UL. The pics make nice book ends from the beginning of the experiment to the final removal.

Default Re: Engine weight gain

Can I ask about your opinion of the HKS for the kitfox.

I was not happy with my installation. The aircraft/engine combo was underpowered and sluggish.

Others on this forum have had much more success. If I wanted to spend more money and time on it, I believe the larger reduction gearbox and reducing the weight of the mount could have made a noticeable impact. However, after spending so much time on mounting, trying different props, changing around oil coolers and locations, and coming up with baffles to get the temps in line I was frustrated with a slow climbing, 70 mph aircraft and the project has sat untouched for the last 5+ years.

I think pure happiness at 100+ mph is in your future. Great move getting the 912ul.
    Your copilot has added a bit of weight however since the last pic.

Enjoy!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades