Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rcbif's Kitfox Model 5 Outback Build

Default Rcbif's Kitfox Model 5 Outback Build

I’ve been watching Kitfox sales for the past four years hoping to score a used model IV with Rotax 912. This goal started off maybe a bit optimistic considering when I first started looking I didn’t even have my ASEL (was private glider only), but recently with earning my ASEL last October, and tailwheel within the past few months, my goal was becoming more realistic.

Then last weekend I got a text from an acquaintance wanting to know if I wanted to purchase his Kitfox Series 5 Outback kit. I had originally met this person a year earlier with some internet sleuthing when I was looking for someone nearby with a Kitfox to see in person. He was not planning on selling it then, and I never did go see it, but we talked on and off about our shared interest of soaring – mainly me trying to rope him into the glider club I’m in.

So he offered me a deal that would be hard to say no to, and I went to go check it out. He gave me all of his build docs to look over, which I spent a few days reviewing before a final inspection and closing the deal. My only issue making this come true was space, but I owe one of my aviation friends a bunch, as he helped set me up with a friend who is now sub-leasing his hangar to me. Transport was also made a heck of a lot easier with another aviation friend who had a box trailer and truck, saving me from messing with using a company box truck.

This past Saturday, the Fuselage was moved in one trip, and the wings and rest in the second. After unpacking, I spend the next 6 hours sweeping, moving stuff, and mopping the hangar, finishing 10:00 at night exhausted. Sunday and Labor Day was spend cleaning the shop a bit more, and organizing my shelving unit, and going thru bins of parts labeling them.

First step of the build will be going step by step and checking/signing off in the build manual on what has already been completed. I will be attending my first EAA chapter meeting this week which is conveniently only a few hangars down.

Oh, one last interesting bit – the seller and original owner is an ex U-2 and Blackbird pilot. Found a few pics of him suited up that will be the start of the photo build log.

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg5.jpg
    Building a Kitfox V Outback in NE Ohio

Default Re: Rcbif's Kitfox Model 5 Outback Build

Have fun building you're Outback. It is a great plane. I got my kit second hand very similar to you.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Congrats! It looks like you've got quite a head start on building, and all of the previous workmanship is easy to inspect. That's a great score. Have fun with the build. I look forward to following along.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Yeah, Congrats on your score!. Have fun.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Eric , where are you in ohio, I'm not to far away with an Outback in Western New York. What engine are you going with? Bruce N199CL

I'm in Medina OH. Planning on 100hp Rotax. Not sure if carb or efi yet. May try to get somthing used ic a good deal comes along and I can fly behind it first.

Your pics brings back memories. I took delivery of a Series 5 kit in 1998. It is red powder coated just like yours. great airplanes.
    David E.
    Woodstock, Georgia
    N97DE S5 TD Flying

N97KE RV-9A Sold
    N96KE RV10 Sold
    Rans S21 Helping Brother Build (Selling)
    Vans RV-14A (On Order)

Here's the original owners unboxing pic from 98

kf2.jpg

Spend all this week going over previous owners work.

So far, only two mistakes.

First was the steel sleeves were a press fit in the bronze bushings for the horizontal/ elevator hinge.

Second is the inner brake cylinder mount brackets. A hole too big....

Anyone know the material. Will be remaking along with the larger holes for line routing as suggested in the S7 manual.20190908_110418.jpg20190908_110247.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by rcbif View Post

Second is the inner brake cylinder mount brackets. A hole too big....

Anyone know the material. Will be remaking along with the larger holes for line routing as suggested in the S7 manual.20190908_110418.jpg20190908_110247.jpg

RC,

The cut to the chase is contact Kitfox, they have a pile of the correct stock to make these from.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN