Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Gas,oil mix questions.

Default Gas,oil mix questions.

I have a thread started in the engine section but not seeing much traffic. I'm trying to break in my rebuilt 582 but it runs rough and won't rev past 2k rpm. As the oil injection was new and dry I added some oil to the fuel. I see it's spitting oil out an exhaust pipe joint which makes me think it's eating too much oil. I had added fuel stability additive but wondered if the oil settled out of the gas.
    Should I let it run and hope it clears out? The plugs look new, no fouling, and the gap is .020". The egt's told me I had a dead cylinder, then it warmed up and the other went cold. I admit I'm not real sharp on two strokes. Wish it came with a C-65.

Default Re: Gas,oil mix questions.

We run a 582 blue top in a paraplane for years now. I highly recommend ditching the oil injection and go premix. Also these engines are notorious for having the seal to the rotary valve go bad. Then the oil in the small little bottle will leak down into the engine and cause the same symptoms you are seeing.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 09-02-2019 at 08:21 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I can't imagine any seals failed on a fresh reman engine. And the builder is very highly recommended. Will premix let the oil settle out if it sets for a while? Or could the injection system leak flooding the engine with oil until it's burned out? I would like to continue to run it to see if it clears up, but I don't want to ruin the break-in procedure either.

I'm not an expert but I can give a few suggestions.

Make sure the carbs are synced together, should be some videos on youtube showing you how.

Depending on how old the EGT probes and gauge is, you might want to replace them. When I put mine back together the probes were knocking on almost 30 years. They would read, but one would read much lower then the other, then go dead, then come back about the same as the other but slightly under, then dead, the other would read to high. Swapped with brand new gauge and probes and did nothing else. Both egt probes read dead on now.

Also make sure the choke plug hasn't failed in the open position. Mine had failed in the closed position meaning you couldn't choke the engine at all. But if it failed in the open position then extra fuel is getting into your engine which could make it run really rough and not much past certain rpms at open throttle. Plus you'd see a lot of oil out the exhaust. You will get oil out the exhaust in normal operation also thats just the nature of two strokes. But not copious amounts. The choke plug is inside the carb hat and is a rubber plug that seals a fueling hole when closed and opens to let the hole bypass into the air stream when open.
    Just a possible thought.

Also make sure you didn't over oil the air filter. It doesn't take much to oil it. Just a very very light swipe of the can. Just enough to tint the paper material a light faint red. Any more and you'd be choking the engine for air flow.

Like I said, not an expert, just a few suggestions and thoughts.
    Do a little research on youtube, pretty sure theirs some troubleshooting videos for Rotax two strokes on there and syncing the carbs as well.

Good luck!

Oh and it's personal opinion on whether you want to use the oil injection system or not.
    Some will say no, others yes. I run it, I have the bottle in plain view under the cowl so I can verify oil level and know it's using oil. Part of my preflight checklist.
    Its worked just fine for me so far. And it beats having to premix fuel all the time.

I'm pretty sure I've covered all those bases. The choke does work fine, had to use it to keep it running when cold. I'm wondering what would happen if I pinched off the oil supply line to the injection pump. At least until it cleared up and had a rise in rpm. The way it runs and the amount of oil that sprayed out of of the exhaust connection sure points to over oiling.

If the engine has just been overhauled, it will have some extra assembly oil in it. That may be contributing to the extra oil as well. Try taking off the air cleaner and see what it does, incase you over oiled that as well. One other side note, did you purge the oil out of the line going to the oil injection pump and the pump as well for that matter? Not doing so wouldn't give you extra oil, but may not allow the flow to start which could be real bad when you switch to straight fuel in the tanks. The 582 should idle at a minimum of about 2250 or so, other wise they usually run rough. A lot of that roughness is due to the gearbox and prop not being smooth together as slow rpms. JImChuk

Thanks! My idle is too low then, 2000rpm. I got mad at it and threatened to sell it for $5 and she straightened up and ran. I'm about 85% through the break in procedure and was low on gas. I was also maxing out on temps after one or two five minuet segments, so I would go mow some runway for a half hour and come back. My only concern is I think it's going over rich at top end. It will not rev past 5500 and the egt temps start going down. Or I may need to re-pitch the prop. It had one of those GSC (?) wood props, so I put a new Warpdrive on her. I set the pitch to what the builder noted in the log book as a starting point. I was having so much fun, and stress, that I didn't notice the wind had really come up. I had a heck of time folding her up and back in the barn.

Quote Originally Posted by beeryboats View Post
    I can't imagine any seals failed on a fresh reman engine. And the builder is very highly recommended. Will premix let the oil settle out if it sets for a while? Or could the injection system leak flooding the engine with oil until it's burned out? I would like to continue to run it to see if it clears up, but I don't want to ruin the break-in procedure either.
    I think they must be tricky on the install. We had ours rebuild and the seal to the rotary valve leaked allowing oil into the carb and engine when we got it back. If we ran it often it was fine but if it sat at all it would leak oil and load up the engine. Andy from Heaven Bound rebuilt ours. He was great and warrantied the engine but we did have to send it to him.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

That brings up another question, I have it running pretty good but may need help. Is there anyone in Indiana that knows these engines willing to come take a look? I don't know if it's a prop pitch issue or mixture, or both. I borrowed a trailer to get her home, but it was a stressful journey. Don't ever want to do that again.