Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Interesting ANR headset option

Default Interesting ANR headset option

I read and search for all things aviation related on the internet. I am an admitted airplane junky.

I found a really interesting web site called FlyCasey.com. Seems his primary business is instruction in all the M-Class Piper aircraft and then ferrying King Airs, JetProps, Meridians - most anything with a turbine to overseas destinations. Stories are posted of flights to China and Saudi Arabia. Casey also is a military helicopter flight instructor and does a lot of work with instruction in the PA-46 aircraft.
    There are also educational articles; some can even apply to us and our flying - such as now to handle an engine-out situation. Anyway - really good reading.

In one of his articles, he talked about the headset he wears. Naturally, I thought he'd have a $1200 Bose or another top of the line high dollar set. Not so.

He buys a set of Bose QC-25 ANR headphones - and then from a company called UFlyMike.com, he buys an adapter that plugs into the Bose headphone - and then has the correct cables to plug into an intercom.

Amazon has the QC-25 for about $130 - and UFlymike has the mike, boom and cable for $225 ( for the Harmony Light) There is another Harmony with more cable options available.

Since I all ready have good Bose headsets, I can't take advantage of this combination. And - I've obviously never flown with the QC-25/UflyMike set-up.

I am posting this because some of you may be looking for another option besides raiding the bank account of $2400 bucks for a set of headsets.

This looks like an interesting possibility - and you might call Casey for a first hand report if your interested in pursuing this.

Hope this might help someone.

Regards
    Rodney

PS: I was sitting in my recliner last nite reading Sports Aviation when my wife walked up behind me and saw the word "cruise" on one of the pages. She said - "Oh - are you thinking of taking me on a cruise? How about Alaska?" I had to tell her that "No - this cruise means how fast an airplane can go cross-country."
    Obviously I didn't score any points with that remark.

Default Re: Interesting ANR headset option

I have an older uflymike on a pair of QC 15 headphones. It works very well for what it is, and I keep it as a passenger headset. My two gripes about it are:
    -The passive attenuation is poor, so even when the ANR is on, it's quite a bit louder than an aviation headset.
    -When the battery dies, the headset completely stops working, and the battery compartment is in the earcup under the yoke, so it's a decent amount of fiddling to switch it out.

It's a really innovative product and I really like mine. My intent when I bought it was for it to be my primary headset, but I don't find it quite up to that task. It is a great inexpensive passenger headset, and the headphones are really great for commercial travel.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I find the sidetone on them far too quiet. When I'm sitting next to someone and they're using this set up I can barely hear them talk when they transmit. They can hear me and ATC just fine and their microphone is okay over the intercom but I find their radio transmissions barely audible. ATC seem to hear them, so it's just the sidetone.

Not to threadjack but I suppose it's still on topic...does anyone here have experience with the Headsets Inc ANR kits for the DC headsets? The 10-13.4 in particular?

Quote Originally Posted by PaulSS View Post
    I find the sidetone on them far too quiet. When I'm sitting next to someone and they're using this set up I can barely hear them talk when they transmit. They can hear me and ATC just fine and their microphone is okay over the intercom but I find their radio transmissions barely audible. ATC seem to hear them, so it's just the sidetone.
    The mic gain is adjustable. I use it in the big airplane. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneNC View Post
    Not to threadjack but I suppose it's still on topic...does anyone here have experience with the Headsets Inc ANR kits for the DC headsets? The 10-13.4 in particular?
    This is what I use and really like it. I have two. The older original and the later updated model. I find the later updated model very good. The older one not so much. Lately I have been using foam earplugs before I put on the headset and it is really quite. My exhaust is more straight pipe than muffler. The ANR kit does a good job but the foam earplugs make it that much better. Downside is if the battery dies it is very tough to understand the comms
    I have a panel mounted power supply, still waiting to do the new panel. At least that is my excuse.
    Norm
    Airdrie Ab, Can
    North of Calgary
    Flying SuperFox Model IV