Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox S7 Speedster with big tires QUESTION

Default Re: Kitfox S7 Speedster with big tires QUESTION

What do you think of this prop.. Seem's to easy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C0j1r8cNgzE

On a related note, what types of places off-airport could you land with the wheel pants on the speedster and 6 inch wheels? Dry lake beds like we have here in southern California like El Mirage, etc.? High Sierra Fly in?

I asked John about the Speedster wing when I ordered my kit, and he steered me toward the standard wing as well. I'm glad I listened to his advice. My guess is that when he said something about them "All being 100mph birds" He didn't mean that they all fly exactly 100 mph. In fact, his own plane is a 125 mph bird, big tires and all. He most likely meant that they all fly in about the same speed regime, and that if you're expecting to clip your wings and keep up with your RV buddies, it just isn't going to happen. My 7SS - standard wing - 914 - Airmaster will do 130 mph TAS pretty easily. It will go faster, but it's not a comfortable airplane to fly much faster than that. The light wing loading means a gnat fart is severe turbulence at that speed.

But to answer your original question - these are mix-and-match planes with the ordering options. You can put whatever wheels and tires on whichever wing you like if it suits your fancy. But you won't go 160 mph to your destination and then land on a postage stamp because you put big tires on a clipped wing Fox.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Quote Originally Posted by MSA View Post
    On a related note, what types of places off-airport could you land with the wheel pants on the speedster and 6 inch wheels? Dry lake beds like we have here in southern California like El Mirage, etc.? High Sierra Fly in?
    Dry lake beds and HSF should be a piece of cake. Even a lot of backcountry strips would be fine. There was an RV-6 with a nosewheel and wheel pants at a fairly rough gopher-holed dirt strip I was at a couple weeks ago. I wouldn't have done that, but that plane came and left undamaged.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Smile Re: Kitfox S7 Speedster with big tires QUESTION

Where can you determine if you can "legally" land at these places? I mean how do you know who's land this actually is?

I have the regular Kitfox SS7 with the standard wing. Tricycle gear ( am changing it out to be a taildragger right now).

I could cruise all day at 120mph true airspeed. I have the Sensinich 3 blade composite prop and it was pitched slightly on the climb side. Still - it cruised very well. I run 5350 rpm for cruise.

Now, having said that, I am putting 27.5" aero classic tires on mine

Just looked at their website and I think the price went down since I bought mine.

Search for " Aero Classic Tundra " on their website. Lots of sizes. And - as you can see they don't cost 4K.

Also switched to Matco wheels/axles/brakes. Went for the double puck brakes.

Don't know what the cruise will be - but hopefully in a week or so I can get in the air and find out.

Regards
    Rodney

"But to answer your original question - these are mix-and-match planes with the ordering options. You can put whatever wheels and tires on whichever wing you like if it suits your fancy. But you won't go 160 mph to your destination and then land on a postage stamp because you put big tires on a clipped wing Fox."

Thanks for the response. Not expecting that kind of capability at all. Just thought it would be fun to have a clean and nimble/sporty speedster for fun and airport-to-airport stuff at pretty good (Kitfox-relative) speed. And then to be able to switch to larger bush tires and hit some backcountry spots with respectable STOL ability.

Was thinking 914 with Airmaster prop.

I like that Helix prop. Very interesting.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    I like that Helix prop. Very interesting.
    Looking at their website in Germany, it doesn't show a price but I don't think its that expensive and there's no adjustment

I don't think they are out yet. The video from Dan Johnson says they are currently testing on the rotax.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!