Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox S7 Speedster with big tires QUESTION

Default Kitfox S7 Speedster with big tires QUESTION

Is the Speedster just an airport-to-airport bird, or can you switch out the smaller tires and wheel pants for bush tires as the need arises? Per the order form you can upgrade the Speedster to 6 inch wheels. Doesn't this mean you could just remove the smaller tires/wheel pants and add 26" Airstreaks whenever you wanted to do some off-airport stuff? And switch back as necessary? I'm talking taildragger configuration of course.

Thank you!

Default Re: Kitfox S7 Speedster with big tires QUESTION

As I understood it, your absolutely correct on that assumption. The Speedster came out after I bought mine. I would have most likely bought that model if it had been an option. So, I spoke with John McBean when it was out. It wasn't but a passing question to him but from what I understood him to say was, My Series 7SS was the same plane with the exception of those items you mention regarding the gear. In addition, the wings are shorter as well. That meant I could have converted mine anytime I liked. Swap to the Tapered Grove gear and Tires and build myself the shorter wings. Viola I have a speedster. Oh, the empinage was also built with the wood ribs as does the Speedster.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Hope this answers your questions about the incredible versatility of the Kitfox 7 Super Sport. I didn't get to fly it in this configuration darn it.
    By the way. Welcome to the forums Mark.

Kitfox Speedster back-countryfied..jpg

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks so much DF! That is truly amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by MSA View Post
    Is the Speedster just an airport-to-airport bird, or can you switch out the smaller tires and wheel pants for bush tires as the need arises? Per the order form you can upgrade the Speedster to 6 inch wheels. Doesn't this mean you could just remove the smaller tires/wheel pants and add 26" Airstreaks whenever you wanted to do some off-airport stuff? And switch back as necessary? I'm talking taildragger configuration of course.

Thank you!
    I kinda spoke with McBean at the Livermore fly in (he had the silver 915is and the Green Speedster there) and he said these planes hit a wall speed wise, like there's not much sense in having one over the other as they both cruise fairly the same speeds. So my take was that if your not into the expensive bush tires at a pavement airport get the speedster. I thought the shorter wing and air steamed gear would have made more of a difference but he kinda dismissed that real quick like.

He did say the SS7 wing was far better for STOL than the speedster's, as expected, but it's not as if you can commute to a good area, change the gear and go STOL landing the plane. I was kinda thinking dual purpose flying but he thought I was nuts when he pointed out it's a 100 mph plane regardless of engine or configuration. So much for the spec's saying it's a 120-130 mph bird.

So airport bird, be it a tailwheel or nosewheel.

I have the speedster wing on my 4. actually it's a long wing cut down. I have dihedral in the wing. I can consistently land within 300ft. in fact my last landing a couple days ago I landed much shorter than that with calm winds and didn't even try. I think the big key on landing short is to be able to control your idle. I can pull hard back on my throttle and get lower than 2000rpm. what that does is cut out that float. so it's all up to the person flying the thing as for what is really going to happen on a short landing. I don't use flaps either. I know, people have tried to argue with me on that one. I love the light stick on landing with my electric trim in the back. I can't complain about my landings or take offs. I'm also not out to do stol competitions, just go out and have as much fun as I can. I also have 27.5 tires and spring gear and cruise at 115mph.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

So Rik the speedster isn't actually any more speedy? What is its purpose then?

Quote Originally Posted by MSA View Post
    So Rik the speedster isn't actually any more speedy? What is its purpose then?

?? He didn't really enjoy my questions I felt as where I am there's not really anywhere that I "Know of" that we can go and land like they are doing in NorCal and Idaho, etc.. So I as coming from the angle of "How fast is this one "cruise" with the 912, 915? and he quickly pointed out that they are all 100 mph planes and that the Journey is the fun part.

True but if I'm in LA (currently here for a few more years) and I have to fly to Sacramento to go STOL stuff that' a journey at 90-100 mph just to get there before the fun would begin.

I thought, well I can almost haul two bigger tires in the speedster and then change on site and then change back and come home.. He didn't really like that thought of a dual purpose setup.

I think the speedster is really meant for a LSA customer that wants a fun plane and has no interest in back country landings. There was a time that most people just wanted an inexpensive fun plane and KF was one of the options.

Now everyone wants to be a back country cowboy.

I’ve flown both the Kitfox models mentioned in this thread and with John aboard. The speeds listed were all demonstrated to me in flight.

The Speedster as I flew it in the original configuration, small tires and wheel pants, is a 130 mph aircraft on 100 hp.
    It’s a very sporty, quick, extremely responsive aircraft. It completely lives up to it’s Speedster name.
    After the large tires were installed I would expect to subtract the prerequisite 8-10 mph in cruise speed. As I stated in the previous post, I did not get to fly the Speedster with the large tires mounted.

The “standard” Kitfox wing can cruise 115-120 mph on 100 hp and retains all STOL capabilities for back country flying. Remember, the “standard” wing is found on all of Stick & Rudder’s back-country training Kitfox’.

The STi with 915 easily hits 110 mph although 100 mph seems a more efficient fuel burn cruise speed. It’s wing is designed for maximum STOL performance while giving up a minimum of cross-country cruise capability. It is a great choice and a fun aircraft for those that need or just enjoy maximum STOL capabilities out of their Kitfox.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

sure wish I had the IFA prop.. I originally had 124 mph cruise but I needed to flatten the pitch to gain better climb. I prefer the climb out to be maximized during the phase 1 testing. I may or may not increase my pitch for better cruise. I am sitting at about 105mph currently but I usually sit around 5300 rpm rather than 5500. I do about 110 at 5500. Problem I have with 5500 is when the air is not smooth, I am constantly adjusting the throttle to keep from yellow lining the rpms. As I am still gaining confidence in my build, I hate seeing warning lights.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X