Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Rotec R2800 Engine Oil Problem

Exclamation Rotec R2800 Engine Oil Problem

I have one of these engines and have the same complaints as others. I do not have the electric scavenge pump and really do not want to install one. For those of you who have this engine, I want to run by you, my thoughts on dealing with the oil problem. Again, I have not done anything, so I am soliciting your comments regarding my idea: 1. Install a one-way check valve (at the oil filter) to the engine oil inlet. The check valve would have a cracking pressure of 5 PSI. 2. Install a quick drain on the top fitting of the engine oil sump, with a drain tube or catch bottle. At shut-down, open the quick drain and flag the quick drain so as to make sure that it is closed before future start of the engine. In theory, the check valve would prevent any siphoning, and the quick drain would prevent overflow of the engine sump. This will not eliminate the caution of the hydraulic lock consideration. Perhaps it will conserve oil and less of a mess on the floor. I solicit your comments and please feel free to poke holes in my theory. Thanks, Paul 941-661-7850.

Default Re: Rotec R2800 Engine Oil Problem

the volume of your oil,..versus the capacity of the oil containment,..after the engine has run,..the oil will be hot, creating some pressure in the oil containment tank/sump/pan,..not sure if the hot oil would generate 5lbs of pressure to brake your check valve or not,..remember the capacity of the containment is ussually larger then the required amount of oil in it,..leaving air space which is what would actually be heated from the hot oil and createing pressure, if you've got a check valve on one end and a closed curcuit on the other ,.. would the expanded air from being heated by the oil be too much for a 5 lbs check valve? with end result still allowing a percentage of oil into the lower head?
    just a thought

Chase

Maybe you mis-understood the check valve arrangement. The check valve would only open (or crack) at 5 PSI generated by the main oil pump. Being a one-way check valve, oil could not possibly run from the engine to the filter. The flow would, necessarily, be exactly as the Rotec oil schematic depicts. The cracking pressure would prevent any possibility of head pressure allowing the oil to flow into the engine, when static. But then, as soon as the engine starts, and the oil pressure exceeds the 5 PSI, then the check valve opens, thereby allowing normal flow to the engine. Then at shutdown, the oil quick drain placed at the top port of the engine sump, would simply be manually opened for drainage into a catch bottle so as to maintain the sump level no higher than the top port of the sump. A little lengthy, but please prove me wrong. Regards, Paul.

,..I read it as a manual valve on one end with a check valve on the other and the oil containment in the middle with your flow going from the container/reservoir towards the check valve.

Wasn't trying to prove you wrong ,..was just thinking a check valve with only 5 lb breaking pressure and heated liquid creating pressure in the un used cavity of air in the containment unit,..5 lbs isn't much and I thought maybe blow by would occur,
    since you clarified
    it sounds like the flow is from the check valve towards the containment unit/reservior,..is this right?

Chase