Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skystar Bill of Sale

Default Skystar Bill of Sale

When I bought my 2001 Kitfox project I didn't notice that there wasn't an original Bill of Sale from Skystar in all the paperwork. Although I have the original kit invoice from the original owner I understand that this is not accepted by the FAA as proof of purchase. Kitfox has provided a letter on their current website stating that Skystar is no longer in business and as a result they are not able to provide an original Bill of Sale. They state that this letter should be provided to the FAA as a substitute for the missing Bill of Sale. I have official Bills of Sale from the previous owners, just not the original from Skystar Has anyone used this letter that Kitfox provides on their website as a substitute for a missing original Bill of Sale, and has the FAA accepted or rejected it?
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Skystar Bill of Sale

I believe that you can list it as built from parts, and that takes care of the ownership trail. I know of others that have gone that route. JImChuk

I also had this issue. The FAA WILL take the Kitfox letter. They require a complete chain of ownership for kit built experimentals. They also have 3 working days to turn a registration around and get it out the door. They will tell you this if you call them. Nice folks out there.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Good Morning.

Hope you don't mind me piggybacking your thread, but since it is relevant.....

I am looking at purchasing a single owner 1998 Model V (Skystar) kit who's air-frame is maybe 60% structurally complete.(Not covered, controls not fully rigged, flaperons& brackets not installed, tanks or fuel system not installed, wings not rigged to airframe, no FWF, no avionics, no engine.)

Aside from obtaining the builders manual, extra bought receipts, and previous builders photos, is it safe to say the "original Bill of sale" and the "Current owner transfer to me" bill of sale are the two critical pieces of paper I will need?

Is there anything else?

I have not seen or asked if the seller has the original BOS, but with how organized the rest of the build is, I'm guessing it's in his safe.

Thank-you for any input.

If you bought the kit from the original purchaser (from Skystar) you will need the Skystar Bill of Sale and the original owner Bill of Sale to you. If there were other owners in the middle you will need thos Bill of Sale docs also.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

I had no bill of sale, used the letter, no problem.

Same for me. I bought a 1995 Model 4/1200 kit. I was the 3rd owner. I completed it in 2015. I remember talking to Deb McBean. She was very helpful. I did what she said, sent in the letter and that was it, simple and easy.

Quote Originally Posted by jmodguy View Post
    If you bought the kit from the original purchaser (from Skystar) you will need the Skystar Bill of Sale and the original owner Bill of Sale to you. If there were other owners in the middle you will need thos Bill of Sale docs also.
    Thank-you.

I googled samples of bill of sales for aircraft and I see all these examples include a spot for the n-number.

What does it look like on the Skystar or kitfox bill of sale? Is the n-number field just left blank, or not even there since it is just a kit and does not have one yet?

The Bill of sale is a "legal" document, while the receipt is just a receipt, correct?

Is it safe to say it's ok you don't have an itemized receipt of the original kit purchase as long as you have a Bill of sale?

Bill of sale will have the Serial Number of the frame. No itemization.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

This may be a silly question, but after reading the Kitfox note again it didn't answer this, so....

In the event someone purchases a Skystar kit or complete aircraft, would it be of any help to send Kitfox a copy of your Bill of Sale, or would it just end up in the trash since they didnt make that kit?

For example: If a potential problem arises that could affect all Skystar model V owners, are they just one their own - word of mouth to hear about it, or does Kitfox do anything as a courtesy?

EDIT - I found the service bulletin page, so appear so.
    http://www.kitfoxaircraft.com/index....rvice-bulletin
    Last edited by rcbif; 08-28-2019 at 07:42 AM.