Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Skystar Bill of Sale

Default Re: Skystar Bill of Sale

Eric,

The letter of explanation that Kitfox currently has with their technical FACS is pretty clear; and, is the limit of what they can do on the issue. The lines of responsibility are clear.

Basically the builder makes their case as to why an original BOS is not available which includes the Kitfox letter of explanation. You do have to provide information supporting how the kit ended up in your hands - i.e. a chain of ownership which can be established by records other than a BOS.

The FAA knows all about the skystar bankruptcy (as well as about a hundred others) and they run into this all the time; and, as indicated by an earlier poster - the FAA is there to help and they do - you just have to give them something to work with.

They will not register a craft on the basis - "I have this kit, no idea how I got it or where it came from".....have to have a reasonable chain of ownership.

FWIW - I had an early S7, got severely burned by the bankrupcy, no BOS, (the current Kitfox company was not there yet and the letter of explanation they now have was not available). For extra intrigue, although the earlier kitfoxes were listed as a 51% kit, that had not been done by skystar on the early S7s by the time of the bankrupcy. All this was easily resolved by crafting my letter of explanation as to what happened, including a copy of the "dear john" letter from skystar's lawyers, offering to provide any and all receipts and payment dates in my possession (which was never asked for); and, using the FAA's builder's checklist to establish 51% with the help of the DAR who inspected my plane. Chain of ownership was less of an issue since I was the purchaser of the original kit.

Anyway - Although Kitfox has made this a lot easier with their letter of explanation, there is more than one way to skin this cat; and, the FAA will address any reasonable situation - I found them very helpful along the way and good to deal with.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Quote Originally Posted by avidflyer View Post
    I believe that you can list it as built from parts, and that takes care of the ownership trail. I know of others that have gone that route. JImChuk
    I am the 4th owner of my Kitfox model IV, and what Jim Chuk said is exactly what I did because there was a widow involved as the 2nd owner. I got nervous about this situation and just listed mine as built from parts.
    Lynn Matteson

Is what you are in search/need of an MSO? Manufacturer's Statement of Origin?

That's what the state's typically use to form the title of the vessels. If you run into dead ends, you can merely make an MSO as you the creator and then it will be titled as your creation rather than a Kitfox or Skystar. That will affect the value however.

I too registered mine as built from miscellaneous parts - one of the check box options. I was a bit concerned and made up a comprehensive listing of those modifications I installed from non Kitfox parts. I did not send the list with my registration papers but made the list as a just in case possibility. I received the registration with no requests for clarification or explanation.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn Matteson View Post
    I am the 4th owner of my Kitfox model IV, and what Jim Chuk said is exactly what I did because there was a widow involved as the 2nd owner. I got nervous about this situation and just listed mine as built from parts.
    Lynn Matteson
    Hi Lynn, glad to see you are still monitoring the Kitfox group, even if I haven't noticed any posts from you recently. Are you still flying the Jabiru engine? JImChuk