Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the panel

Default Cutting the panel

Looking for solutions for having the panel layout cut. I have looked at some of the software options and also checked out the Panel design Up North Aviation - Home website. What have the rest of you done to get your panel design cut?
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Default Re: Cutting the panel

It seems a whole lot simpler if your using EFIS and the like. Big round holes for steam gauges might be more difficult, requiring special tools. All my panel holes were laid out using the Garmin templates they provide on line. Drilled the holes at the corners and cut out the edges with a jigsaw. All my switches were cut using a step drill bit. I just put the templates in place and taped them down before using a center punch at all the corners to mark my spots.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm currently working on mine now. I'm modeling it in aurocad and getting it locally. Talked to a few places and it will cost about 150 cdn including material. I can't use my existing panel material as it was cut by previous owner.

I'm just perfecting the template for my model 6. Started with template from another member but it was a bit off for me.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

I guess I'm old school or really cheap. I drew my panel and then proceeded to drill many #30 holes close together. Then cleaned up with a file. It took time but came out nice.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    I guess I'm old school or really cheap. I drew my panel and then proceeded to drill many #30 holes close together. Then cleaned up with a file. It took time but came out nice.
    I'm with Ken on this - cost was an issue for me and I am fine with old school. If a person is careful you can't tell it from a shop job. Very happy with the results. Quickest cut was trimming the outside edge with the bandsaw.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

I'm definitely looking for CAD options. I plan on flush mounting an iPad and an EFIS and really want a clean CnC or laser cut panel. I did the old school method on my model 5 and it turned out ok, but this one I want really clean and possibly laser etched labeling. Compared to other portions of the build, I don't find the professional cut panels to be unreasonable. I'm looking for advice on ways to produce the CAD file, on a Mac not a PC. There is Panelplanner, but the guy at Up North will do the entire design and cutting for the same price as the Panelplanner software.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Bryan,

I had a great experince with Steve at Aircraft Specialty in Wisconsin. He worked with me and even sent a sample panel made of plastic to test fit everything before cutting the final panel from alumunim. I think we went though at least 15 revisions before I settled on the design. I also have a flush mount for the iPAD and an EFIS (MGL) along with the Garmin GTR200 radio, air vents, switches, etc. He would have my panel design already in CAD that you could use. I have a SS.

Eric Joern
    cockpit view.jpg
    Eric Joern
    Super Sport
    Flying!

I laid mine out using Draftsight (2D CAD, free until the end of the year), printed it out full size (Staples), glued it on the blank panel and then cut the round holes with either a fly cutter or a rotabroach and the square hole with a sabre saw/file. You can see in the pictures a change or two I had to make between the first CAD version and the final one.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hi Everyone, long time lurker but this is my first post. I just placed my order for a 7SS kit (Est. delivery September 2020) but i'm looking to get a headstart on some of the design aspects before the kit arrives and the real fun begins.

Does anyone have panel dimensions or an accurate CAD model they'd be willing to share? I'm a design engineer by trade so I have access to all of the usual software platforms/file formats.

Many thanks!
    -Jim

Quote Originally Posted by ken nougaret View Post
    Like Ken, I'm old school. Dremel tools, files, and step drills. A lot of work but I'm very satisfied with the results. The process can be viewed here.