Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cutting the panel

Default Re: Cutting the panel

JimB - If I can attach a CAD file, you will find it here. Well, I can't, PM will be sent. Standby. Cheers, Darrel

Quote Originally Posted by redbowen View Post
    I'm definitely looking for CAD options. I plan on flush mounting an iPad and an EFIS and really want a clean CnC or laser cut panel. I did the old school method on my model 5 and it turned out ok, but this one I want really clean and possibly laser etched labeling. Compared to other portions of the build, I don't find the professional cut panels to be unreasonable. I'm looking for advice on ways to produce the CAD file, on a Mac not a PC. There is Panelplanner, but the guy at Up North will do the entire design and cutting for the same price as the Panelplanner software.
    Ok.. Do you have the dimensions of the gauges, bolt pattern and the general layout with dimensions?

If so this is super easy. I use a cad program to layout things and such all the time. I then convert the files to a .DWG for my waterjet guy and he cut's them out as per the drawing.

So, if you have the exact dim's and were you want each it's going to be easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Rik View Post
    Ok.. Do you have the dimensions of the gauges, bolt pattern and the general layout with dimensions?

If so this is super easy. I use a cad program to layout things and such all the time. I then convert the files to a .DWG for my waterjet guy and he cut's them out as per the drawing.

So, if you have the exact dim's and were you want each it's going to be easy.
    Which program are you using?
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Kitfox Model 5 Lycoming O-290 D powered
    Building a Model 7 Apex powered
    Redding, CA
    http://www.youtube.com/c/ProjectKitfox

Quote Originally Posted by ejoern View Post
    Bryan,

I had a great experince with Steve at Aircraft Specialty in Wisconsin. He worked with me and even sent a sample panel made of plastic to test fit everything before cutting the final panel from alumunim. I think we went though at least 15 revisions before I settled on the design. I also have a flush mount for the iPAD and an EFIS (MGL) along with the Garmin GTR200 radio, air vents, switches, etc. He would have my panel design already in CAD that you could use. I have a SS.

Eric Joern
    Attachment 23023
    Looks very nice, thanks for the suggestion. I'll give Steve a call.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Redding, CA

Quote Originally Posted by Delta Whisky View Post
    I laid mine out using Draftsight (2D CAD, free until the end of the year), printed it out full size (Staples), glued it on the blank panel and then cut the round holes with either a fly cutter or a rotabroach and the square hole with a sabre saw/file. You can see in the pictures a change or two I had to make between the first CAD version and the final one.

Looks great, nice job. I will check out the Draftsight CAD. Thanks

Looks like another rWindows only program. Need to have a Mac based CAD program.
    Last edited by redbowen; 08-27-2019 at 05:24 PM.
    Bryan
    Project Kitfox
    Bowen Aero LLC
    Redding, CA

I use AutoCad and TurboCad.

Your not going to be able to pay for the cad software and get it cutout cheap for a one time use. It's easy to draw out once you have dims and the software but unless you want to spend $$$$ it's easier to just give dim's and someone draw it up and then you can send it to a waterjet or laser if you want to brag about how much you spent getting it cutout.

Getting it cutout is the lowest cost of the equation in reality.

I drew this out with the dim's off a Garmin G3X panel...
    Attached Files Attached Files

On all my planes, I drew up what I wanted right on the panel and cut it with a thin 3” cutoff wheel, at least for the square holes. Round holes were cut with a fly cutter. Smaller holes were drilled around the perimeter and flies. Worked great for me and was free!
    -Mike Kraus
    RV-4 built and sold :-(
    RV-10 built and flying
    KitFox SS7 built and flying and now on amphib floats!

I'll link to some cad files later today. I've got a few components defined that can be used as needed.

-- blank panel for kf6
    -- g3x
    -- g5 flush mount
    -- standard toggle switches
    -- artex elt remote switch
    -- standard throttle
    -- ac200 prop controller and manual pitch controller

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

With this much data, we can just nest the items and be done with it.

Can we get a cad drawing of the dash for a KF7?

I will start posting the files I've made to https://grabcad.com/tracstarr-1/models . I only have the base panel up right now. I want to tweak the other files a bit to allow others to use easier.

I'm no expert with this stuff, but it's all drawn to spec from manuals. Other than the panel, which I created from scratch with measurements I took.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO