Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Another Runway question

Default Another Runway question

Have a question on runway new member here so be easy on me. Have flown a little & now that I'm in my 30's I have saved up to train & buy a plane (making time is the hard part). Anyways down the road with a fair amount of time behind the stick I would love to fly out of my own land. I have searched & everyone talks about length but I have a different problem. I have 1250ft no trees or anything on each end. Problem is I have my house & shop at 700ft. With a gap of about 85' in-between at the 700ft mark winds 90% of the time are in my favor & I have strips I can use 2000ft only half a mile away if it's not looking safe with bad winds or worst case I can land in fields next to my house 5000ft and go through the gate but would like to not make a habit of that with the cows.

So I would like to get your thoughts is it an option??

Thanks

Default Re: Another Runway question

Most of the brass strips in the valley I fly in, are 70 feet wide and generally have a safety zone of 40 feet. One of the locals build a hanger Close to the runway. Kit fox needs a 40 foot clear wing span without trees or tall crops. Even with the hanger near the safety zone or even in it, I still have plenty of room for a safe landing. Gusty conditions or a bad runway alignment would because for concern and a potential go around is the likely remedy for me. I rarely use more than 800 feet to complete landing and rollout. What model Kit fox are you flying or building?

Looking to get a IV to start and then build or buy a V or newer and put a STI wing on it.

I fit nicely in my eighty horse plane. It’s small. I’m 165 pounds and 5’7”. Wife 100 lbs if that.
    im off with full tanks in 400 ft.
    I love the four and will not part with it but most guys need more plane. My mission is on a ranch in the mountains and we have 7 airstrips in the valley.
    Whats your desire for this planes job?

My strip is similar but very different. It’s 1100’ long, 70 feet wide, bounded down one side of the length by tall trees, tall trees on one end and the approach is over tall trees 600 feet from the threshold. The similarities are at 400’ down the runway there are trees and a stone wall that make it the 70’ wide.
    I would probably be far more intimidated by a house as an obstacle but your situation is very do-able.
    BD212732-7430-4B97-AF4A-5B710B98BA75.jpg

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!

Thanks for the replies! Sounds like it's an option. I just want a plane to go for evening-flights & the occasional cross country 4hr flight. I know I would fly more if I could stop out the door & walk to the hanger.

Your last sentence is very true. I have my strip right out my door as well, and do most of my flying in the last hour or so of the evening. I can decide to go, and in 10 minutes or so be in the air. If I had to drive to the airport, it would be 20 minutes before I got there, and then start to get the plane out and ready. I'd be flying less for sure. Having it close helps if I decide to do some work on the plane as well. If I feel like tinkering with it, it's 300' from my house in the hangar. Make the strip work if you can! JImChuk