Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gps

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Gps

Open question to our membership and guests:

What kind of GPS do you have or use in your planes and what do you like and dislike about it?

I'm looking to replace the Magellan SkyNav 5000 in my plane that is no longer supported and it doesn't work that well, anyway. I'm considering a portable more than a traditional panel mount like the SkyNav or the mega $ 430/530.

Last edited by Av8r3400; 12-03-2009 at 07:01 PM.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Default Re: Gps

I use the garmin 196 got it for a good price from someone upgrading, and it works well.
    Dj Series 6

For $650 the AirMap 2000C was my choice and have been quite pleased with it.

It has a large 5 inch, 256-color diagonal display with a resolution of 320x240. It has terrain awareness that can also display a profile view of upcoming terrain and an ETA to that point. It included MapCreate mapping software that allowed me include additional "local landmarks, etc." via the MMC/SD card reader/writer that comes with it. Plus all the gear I needed to install it - like the remote amplifying antenna, cigarette power adapter, yoke mount and suction-cup mount bracket. Additional features included a customizable HSI screen that can be displayed from a menu of over 20 options.

I have never used a Garmin, but the combination of the price and features of the Lowrance 2000C made it a cost effective choice . . . and I have not been disappointed.
    RobS

I tend to shy away from Magellan products as I have been through 2 units in my truck (both went south within a year). I have owned a Garmin Nuvi for the last 3 years, a Garmin 295 for the last 4 and a 396 for the last 2 years. I have not had a stitch of trouble with any of them.
    I will highly recommend the Garmin 396 as I like having the weather feature (and XM Radio) I can activate for extended trips. The used ones are droping to a palatable price now.
    Last edited by DanB; 12-04-2009 at 07:32 AM.
    Dan B
    Mesa, AZ

Magellan no longer makes aviation units and it sounds like Lowrance won't for much longer, too. From my experience with what I have, getting something that is no longer supported or produced is not good.

I've been thinking of a Garmin 196 for it's unbeatable reputation and cost. I'd like a 495 or 695, but they are just too costly for me (I've no use for XM).

Now I read in AOPA that Garmin will stop production on the 196 and 495/6 soon, in favor of the aera 500 series touch screen units.

Man...
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I have the Lowrance 2000c and love it. The large screen is the best feature. I use the Landing Guidance feature at new airports. Being able to have weather would be very nice and weather is not available on the 2000c.
    Steve Wilson
    Huntsville, UT
    Kitfox 85DD
    912A / 3 Blade Taper Tip Warp Drive
    Convertible Nosewheel & Tailwheel
    SkySteve's SPOT Page
    SkySteve's You Tube Videos

I have the Iq3600a in the kitfox and has worked great, but small screen compared to the Garmin 696 in the RV which is absolutely amazing. I plan on getting the 1inch ball mount for the kitfox so I can move the 696 back and forth between planes when I do a long distance in the kitfox. Otherwise the Iq will stay in the kitfox.
    steve
    slyfox
    model IV 1200-flying
    912uls
    IVO medium in-flight
    RV7A-flying
    IO-360
    constant speed prop

Jim, I have used the anywhere map system for about 5 years now, 1st on a PDA and now with the ATC display that I purchased at OSH this summer. I have had good success with the anywhere map system and found it to be the most reasonably priced unit at about 500 bucks. The pros of this unit: finger touch navigation (no stylus required for the on screen button displays) easy to use with more functions than I will ever use, nice display that can be user modified to different features (VFR, IFR, Emergency etc) , obstacle and terrain warnings. Cons : sunlight readability is better than the PDA I used to use but still not perfect, some of the functions that the operators manual describes are not currently functioning as advertised. As an example , the manual states that when the emergency mode is selected (in case of lets say an engine out) that the on screen view will automatically go to the range to show airports that you can glide to based on altitude. In reality this does not happen and the range goes to 21 miles every time this mode is selected. The company should not put this stuff in the manual until it is ready for prime time.
    Overall I find the unit capable for my navigation needs and I would recommend it . I have attached a photo of my install in my Series 5. Bruce
    Attached Images Attached Images

Also have the Lowrance 2000C, for $625 it was the best features for the buck at the time of purchase. I don't worry about obsolesence much - it it does what I need - it will probably still do that till it dies - an uncomplicated, easy to use unit that gives me about 1000 X more precise and usable data than the old omni-vor ever did. For the cost of a much higher priced garmin I can replace this a few times - everything electronic becomes obsolete yesterday anyway if a person is chasing the latest and greatest. If it busts some time - I am sure I can find something else to replace it with given how fast features/prices & electronic evolution takes place.

For that matter, a cheap old hand held bottom of the bucket GPS one would use walking a trail gives you way more info than the VOR too.....

Now, If I were much richer???? Who knows!

Sincerely,

Dave S
    KF7 Trigear
    St Paul, MN

My advise is to look at who is in business now and what the future status could be. I'd stay away from Lowrance any more, they no longer support their aircraft units so updating is no longer possible. Garmin will soon stop making the 1xx, 3xx and 4xx so I decided not to go that way either.

I chose to pony up $800 for the Garmin 500 and I am ecstatic with the decision. I didn't need the XM features either, so I went with the "base" unit of this chassis. It is very easy to use in the plane, en-route, and logical to understand. With all the "Nuvi" units they have now sold, I thought the touch screen was sufficiently R&D'ed to death and would be reliable. I can't think of using the curser buttons like my buddy's 295.

I am not familiar with the "Anywhere Map" units so I can't offer a comparison to them, sorry.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos