Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Radiator cracking on model 4 with 912ULS

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Radiator cracking on model 4 with 912ULS

Hi there, new Kitfox owner here. I picked up my 2006 built model IV about four days ago and have been flying it from Minneapolis back to my home field in California. I’m experiencing some pretty bad issues with the radiator cracking. The first time it happened I landed at McCall ID and noticed a pool of radiator fluid under the plane while doing the pre-flight. I pulled the radiator cowl and discovered the plate on the under side of the radiator had cracked so badly that it could be pulled off with very little pressure. I called Kitfox and they told me they had a spare radiator on the shelf. McCall Aviation were kind enough to lend me a line pilot who flew me down to pick up the new radiator, which I installed on the ramp. After engine testing this morning I flew the plane to Coeur D’elane in northern Idaho. Once again while pre-checking the plane I discovered the same cracks again on my new radiator. The flight from McCall to Coeur D’elane was only two hours. I’m racking my brain trying to work out why this is happening. First thought was the radiator cowl was flapping against the bottom of the radiator due to prop wash, but I flew the stretch to Coeur today without the cowl on. Other ideas are some kind of prop resonance, or some kind of resonance through the frame. Has anyone seen this happen to their model IV radiator?

attached a couple of pics, first broken radiator:

77404119-4B56-44A5-B0BC-0C17AE094C00.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images