Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cushion thickness for 5‘7“ Pilot

Default Cushion thickness for 5‘7“ Pilot

Hi all,
    I‘m 5‘7“ , so not the tallest.
    I‘m looking for new seat cushions and don‘t know how thick they should be.
    So any same size pilot experience would be nice 😉

Greets,
    TUNA

Default Re: Cushion thickness for 5‘7“ Pilot

Tuna,

I am just a couple inches different at 5' 9"; and we have 2" medium density foam cushions (both seat and back) in our S7 - works fine. My wife is a little shorter and she gets along well with the 2" cushions also.

FWIW - the density of the foam can affect this as well as the thickness (how far a person sinks into the cushion).

Cheers
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

On my SS7 I have the Kitfox cushions. They follow the contour of the seat pan (down in the rear about 4 inches) which allows tall people to have head room . Well, being short I could not see over the cowl. So I fabricated wedged shaped foam cushions which bring the pan level up to being parallel with the door frame, Then the factory cushions are placed on top of that providing great forward vision. When I have a tall passenger I remove the wedge cushion and revert the seat back to the factory arrangement. I also use a 1 inch pad behind the back cushion to counteract the issue that the rear of the pan is slanted back.

I am 5'4". I ordered a three inch bottom and don't use it. Im using the two inch bottom. Paul L at Stick and Rudder pointed out for me that the back cushion is key more than the bottom. I could easily fly mine with a one inch bottom using a thick back cushion. Because the bottom of the pan is angled down, having a thicker cushion behind you will sit you forward on the bottom therefore higher as well. Just sitting higher with the 3" bottom didn't help me when it came to reaching the flap handle. I have a two inch back cushion and still use another pad behind it. I still need to loosen the shoulder strap to reach the flaps. I know, all this makes it more complicated but I would have appreciated the information before I bought my interior. I have another cushion on order so my tall passengers will fit.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I'm 5'7", have 2" bottom and back cushions from Kitfox, and it's perfect.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I've been wondering about cushions for my model 2. Not sure whether this is something available for purchase, or whether I'd have to source out bulk foam and fit them myself. Anyone have any experience with earlier model kitfox foam?

I have a KF3 finished in 93. The original foam in my seats is kinda worn. I have some 2" foam, cut to size to fit under the seat upholstery. I am 5'6" and use 2 of these behind the back and one under. It moves me forward and up and gives me adequate reach to the panel and controls and over the glare shield.

Only caution is to make sure the cushion foam you add does not impede the control stick rearward movement.

Ralph

Where did you source the foam that you used for the seats?

I bought my foam from Skandia. Not cheap though.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Carlyle

If you can find a fabric store ( fabric for sewing, not covering airplanes) or an upholstery shop - they normally stock foam in a variety of thickness, sizes and different firmness; and, can cut to size on the spot. Depends where you live - large towns will be your best bet. I like a place where I can see what I am buying before committing.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN