Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Powerplant Options

Default Powerplant Options

Wanted to see if anyone has had any experience (good/bad) with the UL260i powerplant. Brochure info between UL and Rotax compares well, but that is sales pitch info, would like real world info if available.

Dick B

Smile Re: Powerplant Options

I personally don't know about the UL260i ,..but soon I will know about the 2009 ford 2.0 DOHC 140 HP at 212 lbs,..I'm going to manufacture my own manifolds to try and get the weight down to 200 lbs,..and possibly a dry sump to reduce the oil pan area and weight.
    A salvaged motor with 5000 miles or less on it can be had for around $800.00 ,..it must be an 08 or 09 DOHC motor ,..the older ones have the cast iron block.
    If I can get the weight down to 200 lbs with 140 ponies spinning the prop ,..it would be an auto conversion worth the R&R ,..I could blow up 20 of these motors and still cost less then one rotax 912S

Chase

Default Re: Powerplant Options

Well I hadn't planed on blowing up the plane ,..the motor can quit all it wants,..I'm not a stranger to the ole dead stick

Chase