Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New England Fox

Default New England Fox

Hello all: I am wondering if there is anyone in the New England area with a Kitfox who would be willing to let me just take a look and try it on for size (extra credit for demo flight but not required!). I am a "long" 6 foot 4 and want to see if I could reasonably fit in the cockpit. I live in northern New Hampshire.

Thanks, David Brody

Default Re: New England Fox

David,

Welcome aboard!

I am currently building an STi, and you’re more than welcome to come check out the process.
    I live in Southern Maine. There is also another STi builder ready for his first flight near Brunswick, ME

Mark
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex

Hi: Thanks for the response. Is your build sufficiently far along that one could sample getting in and out of the cockpit? If so, I'd be interested in coming by for a look. But if it's not there yet I wonder if you might be able to contact the other builder you mentioned. Thank you again.

David Brody

And just to get at this from another angle: From previous experience I know that I need at least 46 inches from back of seat to rudder pedals (50 would be heaven). Anyone out there with a flexible tape could measure this up? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks, David Brody

I just measured 44” from pedals to the lower end of the seat back. That’s with the pedals in the most forward position. But the seats in a kitfox are really reclined so your legs aren’t straight when sitting in it. Hope this make sense.
    Ben Bell
    Building 7 super sport
    O200 powered

Thank you, the info is much appreciated. I'm still on the hunt for someone to let me try one on for size but in the meantime I am contacting the manufacturer to see if there is any possibility of moving the seat aft 4-6 inches.

Thank you again.

David Brody

Without undertaking significant structural modifications to the fuselage frame, there is not. The leading edge of the seat pan rests on a welded truss that carries landing gear loads and the top of the seat back behind the shoulders rests on a welded cross-tube structure.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

David,

I just sent you a message. I just returned from CT, and getting caught up on stuff. I agree with Eric, it would be quite an undertaking to move the seat. The seat pan is quite reclined, so you pick up some distance that way. My friend, Win, is 6' 2" and could use one notch of pedal to shorten the distance. I agree that you should probably sit in one to make sure it will work for you. Feel free to give me a call if you'd like.

Mark
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex

Hi David and Mark,

Paul Richards here from Clamar Floats and I'm happy to say I've just picked up an S-7 kit which is underway in Brunswick...Seems there is a growing community in Maine of S-7's in general and a least 3 which will be on Clamar 1400 floats. Sounds like fun to be had and I'd like to propose getting together to share thoughts / notes..

Paul Richards
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hey there Paul,

That is fantastic news! We met in Oshkosh, and when I helped Joe with his float install. It looks like Win is just about ready for first flight. So that would be 4 Kitfox builds going on in Maine right now. (You told me there is another being built in the Falmouth area too, if I remember correctly?) There is another STi being built in MA. It would be fun to get together and compare notes. Let me know when you are available, and we can meet up.

Good times!

Mark
    Building
    Kitfox 7STi
    Oratex