Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Landing gear weight

Default Landing gear weight

Hello everyone!

I put in a deposit on a 7 SS about a month ago. Due July 2020, can’t wait to start building. I have this dream (spelled - hallucination) that I will do some “gentle” back country flying with it - not up to cowboys level, but I want to give it a try. I want to build it asp an LSA. I have been looking at videos and doing as much reading as possible. I really like the shock monster/cabane v arrangement. I have time in cubs, so I’m somewhat familiar with how a cabana works and feels. I have virtually no experience with Grove. I have flown Aeroncas with spring gear.

The combined weight of my wife and I, full fuel, and 25 pounds of camping gear would come to about 520 lbs. using the current LSA maximum (AOPA AND EAA say it’s going up) of 1320, that means the build (I plan a 914 engine) can be no more than 800 lbs. does any one have figures on the relative gear weights? I plan 26 inch tires and likely a bushwheel tail wheel, maybe a Beringer anti ground loop tail wheel.

i would appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks

Default Re: Landing gear weight

I won't be popular for this answer, but I see no realistic reason for the "shock" style gear for most situations. If you are doing extreme STOL, off-airport ops, maybe, but for most it is a lot of money, excess drag, and complexity.

I am running Grove spring gear and couldn't be happier with the system for my needs. You can look at my YouTube channel and see how the gear works for me.
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

I once contacted Grove to determine the installed weight of their gear for a Model IV. Their website at the time indicated 25 lbs. for the gear. I was told that including mounting brackets and hardware it would be a little over 32 lbs.
    Lowell Fitt
    Goodyear, AZ

My You Tube Channel

Cabane gear is a couple pounds lighter than the Grove (Grove is close to 40lbs I think) but slower. I have a 914 powered Model 7 with a lithium battery, constant speed prop and when I did the weight and balance on 26" tires it came to 878. I have a new project I'm slowing picking on and my goal is under 800lbs and I'm going pretty extreme on the plane's diet to get there. Not to say it isn't possible but just to be realistic, you need to be conscious about saving weight everywhere you can.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Thanks to everyone. I’m hoping to get the plane around 825 empty weight. May not be possible with options and reasonable avionics.

Just finished weight and balance on my 7SS. Came out 763 lbs. empty weight. My goal was 750 lbs. I’m very happy with those numbers. 😀 That’s with the Grove gear BTW. I think I can still shave off another 4 lbs. or so with carbon turtle deck in the future and a couple other little items.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Holy cow! thats nearly 80# lighter than mine and you painted it. When you going to reveal it DF4?
    Doggitz, 825# is doable. Remove my autopilot system and the second EFIS and Im nearly there. Those little servos weigh a ton. Use Oratex as you mentioned to me before. Other than the Carbon Fiber stuff DF4 has, I am surprised at the result. His plane is well equipped. He didn't use the plastic strut fairings either though. Those aren't light. I watched him put a lot of elbow grease into his fiberglass ones though. Can't wait to see it finished and flying. I have begun making arrangements for the AZ trip. Maybe 23 September.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

825 is doable, but I think to get there with big tires and a 914 means some tough compromises. The 914 really wants a constant speed prop to make the most of the turbo.

My airplane is pretty loaded with bells and whistles and weighs in at 875:
    • 914/Airmaster
    • Autopilot
    • Poly Fiber
    • T3 tailwheel
    • Desser Aero Classic 8.5 x 6 Tundra tires
    • Plastic fairings on lift and HS struts
    • Single display Skyview HDX panel
    • All the comfort/convenience options from Kitfox. (Heater, cabin air, upholstery, etc)

With that as a baseline, carbon cowls, Oratex, no autopilot, and a fixed pitch prop would shave close to 50 lbs, but you're going to gain ~17 lbs back with 26" Airstreaks. I really want those Airstreaks, but if I were concerned about weight and only doing "gentle" backcountry, I'd probably stick with the Dessers. If I weren't flying out of high elevations often, was not going to install a CS prop, and if I was really concerned about keeping weight down, I'd be looking at a 912ULS, perhaps with an aftermarket EFI system to further reduce weight, and get you a little more punch.

If you can, you should go to Stick and Rudder and fly the 914 with a FP prop, and then fly the 912iS with a CS prop before deciding on and engine/prop combo.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Not going to get into the landing gear preference or wheel sizes but do you really need a 914? Had 914 that happened to be more problematic then I cared for. Fortunately I found a 912uls (salvaged motor/ totally rebuilt) and put the zipper big bore 1484cc kit and I’m very happy. Flown into the Sierra mountain and happy with motor. I need to add that the engine is a later 2007 model with thru bolt cases and the cam was replaced with the zipper big bore high performance cam.
    Kitfox 7 flying

Can you share the list of what you end up doing to it? Hopefully the FAA with boost the gross weight up petty soon for the LSA and won't be an issue for me. I rarely would ever get myself in afield short enough to have a problem. Why do you need it so light with all that power ?You must be off in 150 feet most days?