Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Building a kit, need opinions...

Default Building a kit, need opinions...

Well I've been bitten by the bug.
    And I want to build a plane now.
    I've been reading through as many build threads and looking up info for the last month.
    It won't be something I pull the trigger on for at least a year though but I've already started formulating a plan.
    And now I need some opinions.

I'm interested in doing a Model 7 Speedster. But other then the demo one I have not seen any others finished yet online.
    Has anyone finished a new speedster and if so what are your thoughts? What cruise speed are you seeing? Is it worth it over the regular SS model?
    I've done the math and after options that I would want the Speedster comes in at only about 500 dollars more then the semi-optioned regular model.
    I don't plan to be STOL'ing the plane in the context of say Trent Palmer and the Cowboys. But I will want to be able to get into smaller strips.
    Does the Speedster severely limit me or just mildly affect takeoff and landing over the regular model?
    Would Vortex Generators on the speedster help some?

I have yet to see a model 5,6, or 7 in person. I know they are bigger cabin room wise then my model 2. But how much bigger? I'm 5' 10 at 235lbs and have broad shoulders and any passengers gets a bit tight.
    I don't have bubble doors and I know this helps but I do fly with the doors open.
    Does the dual latch door pins lock on the speedster? Can you key them?

Being that the newer models have a center console, does this tend to become burdensome after a long flight? I like to spread my legs, would this cause me issues?

Is anyone with a model 7 near Sebring Florida and wouldn't mind letting me take a look?

My plan at the moment is a Speedster with a Rotax 912iS

I'm sure I'll have lots more questions as I think of them.
    Thanks to everyone in advance.
    Last edited by KitfoxSS; 08-16-2019 at 05:33 AM.

Default Re: Building a kit, need opinions...

I'm in zephyrhills,fl. I have a 7SS I finished 2.5 yrs ago with an O-200. I keep the plane at the house and trailer it. I'm home most weekends. Your welcome to come look.
    Ken
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Hey Ken, Thanks for the offer!
    Would you happen to be around on Sunday in the afternoon say around 5pm?
    I work a night shift, I could swing by before work if that works for you.

Thanks again.
    - James

That would be fine James. I sent you a PM. Let me know if you got it.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I did, thanks Ken!

Big thanks to Ken for letting me come out and look at his plane.
    A beautiful bird and lots of information for me to consider.
    Thanks so much again Ken.

Has anyone on this site finished a new speedster? I'd love to talk with someone who has as well.
    Thanks team.