Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rear lift strut trailing edge "cut" dimension

Default Re: Rear lift strut trailing edge "cut" dimension

Looks like I cut up to 35". It came out good.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

As I posted on this forum a long time ago, I had a conversation with Judd (w/Kitfox) at OSH, and he told me that they cut the taper ahead of time... no need to mount the wings to do/check that. He told me that the cut is made 38 to 40" from the center of the bolt hole. I believe this usually gives an edge that is approximately parallel with the side of the fuselage when the wings are folded. I think you can probably usually get by with a little less than that, and I cut mine at 35" also, like Ken. I measured the cut at 25" on a Series 5, but don't know if it was truly adequate for clearance when folded. My friend Stan's Mod. IV is 34".

As far as mounting the fairings, I just made sure they were parallel with the plane of the 2 lift struts, and with each other. This was when the lift struts were not installed yet.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Thanks Ken and John for the additional inputs - the cut will be made soon while paint cures.

I did move the rest of the strut fairing installation to somewhere lower on the action item list and got back into the paint booth. I finally (with the help of Andy on the Stewart System tech line) got my gun tuned for the UV primer and the temp/humidity we are experiencing and am very pleased with the results. Hopefully this experience will translate to the color coat; time will tell.