Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rear lift strut trailing edge "cut" dimension

Default Rear lift strut trailing edge "cut" dimension

The weather forecast for my neck-of-the-woods indicates that I may not be able to get in the paint booth during the next few days. So, I was looking around for something productive to do and discovered the "mount the fairings on the lift strut operation". I can't see any reason why the struts need to be mounted on the plane to attach the fairings but if anyone disagrees, please speak up. The next question my pre-read of manual caused is related to the removal of the trailing edge on the lower part of the rear lift strut. I'd just as soon get this done without having to attach the wing panels and swinging them to size the clearance cut - would anyone have dimensions known to work? Finally, the fairing that wraps around both of the struts at the inboard ends - I've seen planes with and without them. Anyone care to take a second and offer rationale supporting one way or the other? As always, thanks for the assistance.

Default Re: Rear lift strut trailing edge "cut" dimension

I believe the dimension you are looking for is 30" from the mounting bolt to where the taper ends; maybe someone else can verify this.
    Most of us did not use the sheet metal that wraps around both fairings-it is ugly and not necessary. Just mitre the two fairings together and glue them down firmly with Hysol. Then use several layers of SuperFill to smooth and fair in the plastic to the bottom end of the steel struts. Fill in the large void in the tapered trailing edge with foam or balsa, etc. and Hysol. Then finish off with SuperFill. Will look real pretty.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I think I was given 28" as well as 30" but I was not able to look back in my thread and find the post where I had asked the same question. If I am not mistaken, it was Jim who provided that same picture for me. I believe I used the 30". I learned that what looks like a nice Super Fil job is not so slick once paint reveals your shortcomings. I agree with Jim on the metal parts. I am not sure how one gets the super fil to transition smoothly to the plastic but I know I didn't get it right. Not a show plane and I am flying the H--- out of that super fil.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Thanks gents - I appreciate the responses - what a forum!!

Keep adding thin layers of SuperFill and sand, sand, sand. Mine feathered out perfectly. Make sure everything is glued down solidly with Hysol first. SuperFill is not an adhesive.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Angry Re: Rear lift strut trailing edge "cut" dimension

In the hopes that my mistake will help others, and because my wife tells me full transparency is an attribute - this was a ready, fire, aim event. In spite of the manual telling smart builders to mark the jury strut mounting bracket location on the strut - knowing that I would be resetting-up (that's a word, isn't it?) the jury struts and checking the alignment requirements, I didn't mark or measure said location(s). Hence, I'll have to do what I was trying to avoid: mount the wings, set up and measure/mark, remove the wings, install the fairings, etc., etc., etc. Thanks for your help and suggestions - they will be used, not now but later.

I personally had my marked but I still opted to put the wings on and mount the struts so I could put the fairings on get them as level and straight. I then glued them in place when they where on the wing. So......just count it as you are doing a thorough job.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hmmm, I laid mine on the floor, measured the leading edge from the floor, measured the trailing edge from the floor, made them the same. I believe that makes them pretty true to the airstream.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Shadowrider - I like your explanation and will adopt it.

EFDW - that is pretty much what I had planned to do; I'll have to see what the realities are when I get to mount the wings and where the plane is at that time.

So much to think about!!!

Make sure you level the plane in flight attitude before leveling the strut fairings; not 3-point attitude.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS