Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Lexan over entire door?

Default Lexan over entire door?

I am building a V with fiberglass lower door panels. Is it possible to use a larger flat piece of thin polycarbonate to cover the whole door and just bend it to fit the forward break? Shall I try to bend it to match first?
    Thanks
    Rick.

Default Re: Lexan over entire door?

I had the same split door that came with my kit with lexan on top and fiberglass on the bottom half. I didn't use the fiberglass lower section and instead bought a sheet of tinted .060" thick Lexan. I cut out the rough outline and pop riveted it to the door frame, bending the Lexan as I went along. It conformed well to the door frame, didn't distort the frame and trimmed out nicely. Now I have a set of full view doors that I really like. Either way looks good and both are very doable so it becomes a matter of personal choice. This is what I love about 'experimental'.
    Larry Olson
    Kitfox Series 6 - 1st Flight Oct 2021
    Tri-gear, smooth cowl
    912 ULS

Default Re: Lexan over entire door?

https://teamkitfox.com/Forums/thread...1058#post51058

Here is an old post I wrote talking about this exact thing. The doors have been great and I much prefer the visibility they afford.
    Shawn
    KF 5, Lycoming O-235