Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dual Heater Control

Default Dual Heater Control

Im wondering if it makes sense to use a potentiometer dial to control each of the two cabin heater fans individually. Any issues with doing this? It seems like it would be nice to have more finite control of the air passing over the exchanger. Ive had a heater that worked like this in an RV (not the plane) and with only low or high options you got to choose between being run out of the vehicle (too hot) or putting up with the fan noise to little or no effect.

Default Re: Dual Heater Control

Joe,

Makes total sense to be able to control the two fans separately - Wish I had that - most of the time in the winter, both fans going at the same time generates too much heat - so it is either on or off and I end up continuously turning the single switch on and off to get that happy medium heat. If it is below zero F OAT, then both need to be on.

Frankly, I think all a person would need is separate switches for each fan - so both, one or none could be activated.

I don't think you need to be concerned about the fan noise - both of the muffin fans going full blast can't even be heard with the engine running - they are pretty quite.
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

The DPDT switch that comes with the optional heater kit allows both fans, one fan, or none. You don't need two switches. Personally I have never found the need for variable speed control of the heater fans.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

I replaced both fans with fans that move 2 times the air then the supplied ones, and ditched the switch for a rheostat. The rheostat controls both at the same time. Anywhere from nothing to 100 percent. Hoping to stay warm when I am up in the flight levels.

Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

I’d be curious to know more about your setup.

Thanks all! I think I will opt for dual rheostats and replace the fans with upgraded ones if needed. I think the fine tuned control makes sense. Just wanted to make sure there was no obvious reason not to do it, for example the fan motors being limited to one speed/power input.

Joe why dual rheostats? If you install one it can slow both fans down to almost nothing?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Likely overthinking as I often do. To put it simply my co pilot has widely different temperature preferences. Since the fans do correlate with passenger/pilot I was hoping dual control may give me some buffer if she had her side on full blast and Id prefer less. Does that make sense?

Joe

Makes sense but I would think in such a small confined space, if one is on full blast, sooner or later the whole cockpit will be quite warm. Still buiding so I'm just guessing.

Rick

Yea I don’t think you will be able to separate it much. Just make sure to do cabin air and you can run cool air on your side.

Here are the links for the cabin fans and for the rheostat.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F8...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LL...b_b_asin_title
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!