Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dual Heater Control

Default Re: Dual Heater Control

Quote Originally Posted by JoeRuscito View Post
    Likely overthinking as I often do. To put it simply my co pilot has widely different temperature preferences. Since the fans do correlate with passenger/pilot I was hoping dual control may give me some buffer if she had her side on full blast and Id prefer less. Does that make sense?
    I’m going to split my fans. Low will be co-pilot fan. High will be pilot and co-pilot fan.

I am still working on electrical theory, but....

Using rheostats to control the fan speed doesn't reduce the current draw (rheostats use resistors to reduce voltage). Using a two stage switch to turn on fans one at a time or both will reduce current draw when on one fan.

The cockpit of a Kitfox is not that big. Reducing the fan on the co pilot or pilot only will still affect the whole cockpit and both occupants will feel the result.

Just my thoughts to think about≥

Ralph

Thanks guys and thanks for the links to the reostat and upgraded fans. Why use such a substantial Pcb? Aren’t there simpler pots/reostats? Is there some advantage to this dedicated motor control? Just to dissipate resistance heat?

I know the cabins small but it helps when it’s not blowing right on top of you! I figure worst case it’s easier to put an extra hole in the panel now and not use it. Rather than not have a hole and want one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It appears to me that the amazon link is to a PWM (Pulse Width Modulator using MOSFETs in the circuit; so it should be very efficient) and not a rheostat and appears, to me, to be the way to go. Driving the small motor(s) in our planes shouldn't heat it past it's design limit at all. Appears to be a great solution but we'll need a EE to weigh in on this as well.

Just my 2 cents, if you get a 4-wire fan, the two additional wires are a tach output (fan rpm), and pwm input. The PWM input can be a really simple circuit, is much simpler and safer than a PWM motor driver. Fan already has the drivers built into it.

Not to hijack this tread, but is it common to use these cheaper electronics in a plane? My experience is that these kind of import/cheaper electronics have a higher failure rate due to the construction/design and lack of safety circuits. Vibration, component fatigue, thermal, are some of the modes. They just aren't designed for a rugged operation. Their use of electrolytic caps, which have a limited lifetime rating too (~500-2000 hours at around 70C) and their failure mode can be outgassing/fires vs polymers or ceramics which can be safer (not what you'll find on those DIY boards).
    Aaron & Ashley
    Newbie pilots working towards our PPL. Kitfox ordered (OSH19)!
    Corvallis, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Yea I don’t think you will be able to separate it much. Just make sure to do cabin air and you can run cool air on your side.

Here are the links for the cabin fans and for the rheostat.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00F8...b_b_asin_title

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LL...b_b_asin_title
    Dustin,
    Does this rheostat have an off position or do you need an on/off switch and the rheostat to operate the fan?

Joe Leeman
    KF5
    Freedom,WI

No switch needed, it’s all the way off is off. Still working good after 450 hours. I would look at the other heater options. Someone had a enclosed fan with vents?
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!