Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Model IV Smooth Cowling Help

Default Re: Model IV Smooth Cowling Help

You might want to set the windshield before you cut the aft edge of the cowl.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Installed the camlocks on the lower cowl. The forward most fasteners on both sides are on the raised portion of the cowling and will cave in the fiberglass when tightened. Will probably have to build up some filler behind it to make up the void, but otherwise it seemed to go on just fine. Only took me about 100 times of fitting the cowl on and off before I got brave enough to drill the first few holes!
    IMG_0039a.jpg

*Oh, and I did reinstall the windshield without the glare shield and I think it will work fine. I'll just need to make to new glare shield to fit the new curve profile.

Wow! that's really starting to take shape nicely.
    Seems a lot of airplane building is removing and re-installing the components multiple, multiple times.
    I know that pain well enough. Here's to the end result being worth it!
    Somebody said that carrier pilots were the best in the world, and they must be or there wouldn't be any of them left alive. — Ernie Pyle

Brett Butler
    Flying: 1998 Model 5 Outback, 912ul Zipper 110hp, G3x avionics, ss7 upgrades

I found this kind of interesting. The black line was drawn on the part when I received it. Matches pretty closely to the one I removed from the original 582 installation. The brown line is from the template I made for the smooth cowl. Mine will be a little shorter than others (because I cut the bottom off of the top cowl), but interesting to see how much lower the smooth cowl sits on the frame vs the previous round cowl.

IMG_0042a.jpg

Started on the form for the oil cooler inlet and cut the wedge for the top cowl. Need to order my fiberglass supplies next...

IMG_0091.jpg IMG_0095.jpg IMG_0096.jpg

I went through this same thing about 2 months ago, fitting a smooth cowl to my Kitfox 4 rebuild. I built my panel and cowl to be as low as possible, and so the cowl lip didn't match the windshield, but I fiberglassed the cowl to the windshield and now have a perfect fit. Redid the oil cooler opening as well. Time consuming, but I'm pretty happy with the result. Been struggling with the getting the engine to run smooth, otherwise it would be flying by now. JImChuk
    Attached Images Attached Images

Did everyone putting on a smooth cowling on a Model IV trim the firewall prior to installing the windshield? I'm curious if the windshield causes and flexing in the cowling that would change the firewall shape?
    Shawn
    Building IV Classic

That looks really nice, Jim!!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

Yes, I finished the firewall and cowl before installing the windshield, I didn't notice the windshield changing the cowl at all. However, the cowl does form the shape of the windshield until the glare shield is in place. Even with leaving the paper on, I got scratches in the windshield from pressing the center of it back to get the top cowl in place (over and over). If I would do it again, I'd try to create the glare shield based on the cowl shape before installing the windshield.

BTW, I got mine in the air for the first time last weekend. Need to take some pitch out of the prop, but otherwise it went great.

IMG_0149.jpg IMG_0150.jpg
    Last edited by rawheels; 12-09-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Looks great! I like the looks of the smooth cowl, thought maybe i would put one on mine someday. After reading this thread and seeing the issues you dealt with making it fit, I've decided my round cowl looks good.