Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Just bought a Kitfox IV

Default Re: Just bought a Kitfox IV

I wish you were closer to Indianapolis. Not being a two-stroke guy, I'm not sure what I'm dealing with on my 582. What prop are you running? I can only get mine up to about 5500rpm. I'm running a Warpdrive with about 11 degrees at the tip. Can you share some specs?
    Not trusting the tach, I bought a TinyTach but I'm not sure I have it at the correct setting. I'll call the manufacturer tomorrow and ask. But in the mean time, I blew all the dirt out of the barn tonight! Just at idle though, wanted to make sure it was working....

I'll see what I can do to get you better numbers the next time I fly. I had given you some earlier but I also since found that my primary tach was off and was reading higher than actual RPM. I installed a new tach AND a tiny tach copy, AND i compared them to my optical model airplane tach and all three now match pretty well. Earlier I had said that I was getting 6800 rpm after takeoff at full throttle, and that is what the old tach said but now I can say that my actual RPM is lower than the maximum of 6800 RPM. It is more like 6400-6500 rpm and the airplane performs just fine. Next time I fly I will do a static RPM check and report back to you.

I have had some time to do some practicing and I made a couple videos. Although some of the landings aren't the prettiest, I'm pretty happy with my performance considering I only have about 6.1 hours after essentially not flying for the past 10-12 years.

So fun. Thanks for posting. Always fun to see terrain that members are flying in. I would certainly enjoy flying over flat land. All the hills and mountains out here make for bumpy flights. These damn Santa Ana winds don't help either. This morning they happen to be making a wild fire here look like a blow torch.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I've been doing more flying and more experimenting with approach speeds, flaps, etc. Since my last airplane was a Twin Comanche that I approached at 105 and came over the fence at 80 with I have been working slowly to get my approach speeds down in the Kitfox. I started off at 60 mph approach speeds but that seemed to cause excessive float and eat up lots of runway. Now for solo "normal" landings I am approaching about 50 mph IAS, transitioning over the fence at about 45. This has been working ok for me for any flap setting. I'm doing pretty well but wondered what techniques others are using. If you experienced Kitfox IV flyers could let me know what your landing techniques are it would be appreciated.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

My landing check list in a Model 4 is FFFF:
    Fuel,
    Flaps (None for 3 point, an inch or two for wheel landing)
    Fifty MPH on final,
    Feet off the brake pedals.
    Tom Jones
    Classic 4 builder

Looks like you need to do the pedal re-enforcement There's a Service bulletin for it, and kit/part available from kitfox

Quote Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post
    Looks like you need to do the pedal re-enforcement There's a Service bulletin for it, and kit/part available from kitfox
    Thanks for your concern, but you are mistaken. There is no Service Bulletin for the K IV rudder pedals. The only rudder pedal Service Bulletin applies only to the Vixen. There is a Service Letter to inspect the rudder pedals of all models and to replace if cracks are found. I have accomplished that. No cracks found. The service letter does advise using the factory reinforcement kit part number 35015, but it is not mandatory.

I do plan to reinforce my pedals, but will not be using the factory kit. The kit is geared toward non-welders and as such uses riveted on steel gussets. I will weld boxed gussets on which will be substantially stronger than the factory mod. Here is picture I found of what the factory kit looks like. Not that the factory kit isn't sufficient, but I can do better, so will be doing it different.
    Nov 4, m 2012 (3).jpg
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

Service Letter / Service Bulletin, Tomato / Potato.. Was just giving you a heads up on a known issue with those pedals

Agree if you can weld it's a better and cheaper option for sure. Kitfox want something like $185 for the reinforcement kit,

I'm picking my New to me Model 4 up this weekend, it's how I came across the Peddle issue

Great reminder 4 Hummer. We have new members all
    the time and new owners of earlier models and even after all these years
    some aircraft have not reinforced their rudder pedals. When they break
    on landing or take off it can ruin someone’s day.👍👍

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear