Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just bought a Kitfox IV

Default Re: Just bought a Kitfox IV

I had to go out of town for a couple days so things slowed down a bit. After getting back i was able to get the fabric on and up through silver tonight.

20190809_194338.jpg

After the fabric is finished I don't plan to do a lot of mods before flying it, but do have some routine maintenance stuff to do mainly to establish a baseline for the future. I have some ideas of what I want to change but I'll get some flying done first and see if those opinions change.

Thanks for sharing this. I am picking up a Merlin GT in the spring and I only have my 25ft 14K trailer. Great info. I have some planing to do that i was unaware of

Thurston

Thurston, look at my thread (EFWD), page 27 at the bottom you will see what Josh Esser did to support the airframe. I did as he did and it made it to the airport unscathed.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

I would NOT recommend Stewart systems. PM me for details
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Thought I would update.

I still haven't flown it because I have been very busy with work which has curtailed the time I have available to work on it. I did however get the fuselage damage all repaired.

20190822_101157.jpg

The color looks perfect in the picture, but it actually does show a little. The shad of the repair is just a bit lighter. I'll deal with that later. I also had to do a little patch on the flaperons.

I also made some seat cushions and they came out pretty good I think. I made them with memory foam and fabric that is used for patio furniture. Could have done some wild prints, but chose plain old black. I had the foam and the fabric cost me about $25. They will do for now.
    20190822_195455.jpg

I also made some brake pedals for the right side and got them all hooked up and working. I only had blue paint, so they stand out a bit.
    20190822_203053.jpg

I've been working on fixing other things up and getting to know the airplane. Kind of getting a baseline for it so I know what I've got. I had a leak coming from the gearbox that was a seal issue. I think I have that fixed now but will keep an eye on it. Then the tach was working but crapped out during one of my test runs so had to replace it. I just put a cheap one in for now because I think I'll be putting an EIS on it this winter. I replaced all of the fuel lines. I think it is just about ready to go now so after a little more run time to verify that the gearbox leak is fixed I'll get it over to my mechanic for the condition inspection.

I did have a question though. This airplane has the 582UL engine and it is pretty rough at idle speeds, which I suppose is "normal" because of the big prop out front. Being a snowmobiler, I know that the 2-stokes are smooth runners and verified it by running the engine without the prop on. The 582 UL ran smooth as glass at 1900 rpm whereas with the prop on it it didn't smooth out until about 2500 rpm. I'm thinking about investing in a clutch setup for it and am looking at the Air Tech clutch kit sold through ACS. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catal...hoC1w0QAvD_BwE

I would love to hear from anyone who has experience with any clutch on the 582, and especially those that have experience with this clutch kit.

Thanks,

John Brannen

I run that clutch on my 582. Also known as an RK400. It’s been very reliable and makes the idle just like you’ve experienced. I even had to put in a smaller idle jet and file my carb slides a bit so it idles nicely at 2000 RPM.

The down side is you can’t rotate the engine when it’s shut down. That makes it a pain to inspect the pistons and rings. If I had a lighter prop, I’d probably remove the clutch, but for now I’m sticking with it.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Thanks. I didn't think about not being able to rotate the engine for maintenance. Sounds like otherwise it is a plus.

Forgot to mention: On approach when the clutch disengages, the windmilling prop really increases your sink rate. I always add some power to arrest that before touchdown. Deadsticking it in takes a bit of skill and can lead to some interesting arrivals. On the plus side, you can get it in pretty short.
    -- Paul S
    Model III SN910
    582 IVO Med

Well I was finally able to get get enough instruction scheduled to get to the point where I finally flew my Kitfox solo today. It was rough getting the time to do it with weather delays, my father went in the hospital, kids things, scheduling conflicts with my instructor, etc. It finally happened though and it was fantastic after basically no flying for the past 10 years. It was a little reminiscent of my first solo 37 years ago with the instructor saying "Just pull off to the side and let me out."

Congratulations, on getting a Mk4,
    pitty about the damage ,there should be a check list on towing the fox for those who have never done it before.
    I would say from looking at the pictures on the Trailor you where very lucky with just the top longeron needing repair.
    1; get a couple of leading edge braces made or purchased to support the wing when folded, there’s an awful twist load going on to the pivot point ! Check inboard rib to spar scotch weld for security,
    2:long distance towing jack up the tail spring and place a suitable block of wood under the tail spring before ratcheting down. Do this before folding less weight on the tail .
    3;secure the flaperons so they don’t bang against the tail
    4: fit a tube onto the fuel cap vents and secure over the wing to take any fuel sloshing away from plane.
    5: cover the turtle deck area well as water weather will ingress your cockpit,
    nice job on straitening the tubes , enjoy ! Safe flying