Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New wing tanks

Default New wing tanks

Are the new tanks from kitfox compatible with unleaded fuels that may contain ethanol? (california&#128547. Any issues with new tanks that I need to be aware of?

Default Re: New wing tanks

They are “ethanol resistant.” Kitfox recommendation is 100LL w/decalin. I run 91 ethanol free in my 912ULS.

What does this mean "resistant"? If that is the case, why are they recommending 100LL? Obviously I would like to use mogas because it's a 912. So what's the real truth of what the tanks can handle?

You’d have to ask the factory but I think the answer is even they aren’t sure. If you have iOS you can download an app called Pure Gas and it will help you locate ethanol free gas. I quality control check by partially filling a small jar with gas and putting a single drop of food coloring in and shaking it. If it’s ethanol free the food coloring will remain solid and balled up. If it’s got ethanol in it the food coloring will look diluted.

The new tanks do fine with ethanol free Mogas; I have been running nearly 100% clear Mogas for 750+ hours with no problems at all. I can't speak to Mogas with ethanol because I have not run it.

My understanding of Kitfox factory recommending 100LL is not because of the tanks or fuel system compatibility, but is their belief that Mogas can be dirty, unknown additives, possible water, potential vapor lock, limited availability, and possibly other reasons. I usually run my Mogas thru a filtering funnel and have NEVER seen any water or dirt in my fuel samples. I personally (and Rotax factory seems to agree) believe the very small risks of using Mogas is not nearly as bad as the detrimental effects of lead sludge and deposits from 100LL, even with Decalin. I personally know several others, and there are many more on this forum, that run Mogas nearly exclusively for many years with no problems. Most of us do try to get Mogas without ethanol.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

This is just an opinion, but I have a hunch that Kitfox Factory (and also Stick & Rudder) recommend 100LL because of the typical legal liability issue. They both deal with the general public and by going with the standard 100LL they eliminate any liability that MIGHT occur if someone has a serious problem with a bad batch of Mogas. No one is going to have a sudden engine failure due to 100LL, its more of a long term engine life issue. Each of us must weigh the issues and make our own decisions-end of my 2 cents worth.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Kitfox markets the tanks as being Ethanol "Resistant".
    This is ethanol resistant, not ethanol proof.
    If it was ethanol proof that would mean the fiberglass tanks would take ethanol all day everyday into the future for the life of the tanks with out issue.
    This is not the case as ethanol is some corrosive stuff. The fiberglass tanks are treated to be resistant to ethanol. Meaning you can run it and it'll be ok but continued use over a long period of time and the ethanol will eventually start to effect the fiberglass.

How about using a sealer on the fiberglass tanks such as BILL Hirsch Fuel Tank sealer? It's supposed to he resistant to all the additives and ethanol.

I'm in Calif....no ethanol free gas here

Quote Originally Posted by Vande17941 View Post
    How about using a sealer on the fiberglass tanks such as BILL Hirsch Fuel Tank sealer? It's supposed to he resistant to all the additives and ethanol.

Skystar lined their tanks with Kreem. It was not optimal. Newer resins that are more resistant are being used now. S&R uses 100LL with decalin and Paul told me it works just fine.
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

Quote Originally Posted by Vande17941 View Post

You can, in fact I had planned when I eventually get to building to use Caswell's Tank sealer. It's a two part epoxy instead of a one part like Kreem or Por15.
    From everything I've read it's highly rated.