Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: About to Order -- Questions

Default Re: About to Order -- Questions

A couple of thoughts on engine acquisition.

There are many sources for Rotax engines. After market rebuild/special builds don't always come with warranty.

Rotax engines from Kitfox have some specific things done especially for Kitfox installation. Two things specifically that I can think of is clocking the outlets from the water pump so they do not interfere with the engine mount. The other is the exhaust system, configured for the Kitfox Install. Oh, and with warranty.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by flipfloplife View Post
    Also as a point for the next guy doing research -- Aerotrek A220 is a competitor to the KF in a way (there is obvious ancestry there). I called that guy. He was nice, and knowledgable. It is sold only as a completed aircraft, mostly made in the Czeck Republic but has a reasonable rep for quality. That plane is sold as an SLSA, which I was told can be pretty easily taken to an ELSA status with a few pieces of paper. Now if you take a 16 hour Repairman course you can do your own maintenance and (i think) sign off your own condition inspection. You can also modify it as you please (which you can't if it's an SLSA). However -- you're still stuck flying it at 1320#. There is just no getting around that. Would it fly at the 1550# that a KF will? Likely. But now you're the jerk breaking the rules on purpose and it can be legitimately said, "*** were you thinking? The plane was not designed for that!". The (relatively) high usable payload is one of the key reasons I like the KF, the Aerotrek looks like a duck and sounds like a duck, but can't be loaded like a duck. An extra 200#'s is a lot. Also for reference, he is sold out until June 2020. ...
    Hi Scott,
    I'm not really very knowledgeable about the Aerotrek A220, and had always thought that it was some kind of foreign rip-off of the Kitfox design, but I've been told by their salesman that it is directly derived from the Avid Flyer. I don't know how truthful and accurate that actually is. I'm bringing this up because I'd like to know for sure and there are people on this forum who will hopefully correct any misconception on my part. As far as comparing one to a newer Kitfox that is designed for 1550#, I believe that it is more accurate to compare the Aerotrek to something like a Mod. IV Kitfox, both in design gross weight and size.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    A couple of thoughts on engine acquisition...Ralph
    Just FYI you only have to reclock the water outlet if you buy the ring mount from kitfox. The rotax ring mount you don’t need to re clock water outlet.. Kitfox builds their own ring mount and can’t copy rotax exactly making the need to have to re-clock the water outlet.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!