Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 912is EGT and Garmin

Default 912is EGT and Garmin

Im just starting in on my avionics and I intend to install the GEA 24 engine monitor. It seems the kit came with two egt probes. I already have egts on each cylinder. Are we expected to drill more holes? Is there a way to read out what the Rotax egts read to the Garmin g3X? It seems silly to have redundant egt probes and then to only have two cylinders monitored.

Default Re: 912is EGT and Garmin

Hey Joe! If you where installing the 912ULS then you have to have installed 4 probes on each cylinder, because they come with none and then have all of the probes go into the GEA-24. But since you are running the 912IS the fadec is already reading the 4 installed probes and all you have to do is pull all the data from the ECU\fadec from the engine and display it via canbus to the GEA-24. Trust me this will save you a ton of time. Look at chapter 32-4 on the G3x installation manual. One note I have learned doing avionics is read through the entire section. There are notes at the start that list important things that are not listed later on sometimes. Good Luck!

On another note anyone who bought the Rotax912 G3x external engine components kit from Garmin and still have the box, I will by the box from you for 50$. These kits are 300$ and I found out we don't need these kits. Tried to send them back without the box and they said sorry. On top of that they lost the second kit we returned that had the box. They basically told me sorry. 600$ gone.
    Last edited by Shadowrider; 07-29-2019 at 09:10 PM.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Hey Dustin. I have many of my Garmin boxes. Im not clear as to what it is your speaking of. My 912iS didn't have external sensors kit to my recollection. Can you describe what it is your looking for?
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Hey Dustin. I have many of my Garmin boxes. Im not clear as to what it is your speaking of. My 912iS didn't have external sensors kit to my recollection. Can you describe what it is your looking for?
    Hi Eddie! Its the box that contains the Rotax 912 sensor kit. Because you have the 912IS you would of not gotten this kit. Joe if you bought the 912 rotax kit, I would send it back and just get the individual sensors you need because most of it you don't need.

Part# 11-09476
    MFR Model# K00-00514-00ROTAX 912 Kit Contains:

• Manifold Pressure Transducer, Powered, 30 psi, Absolute, w/connector, Kavlico P4055-30A-E4A (p/n 494-30004-01)
    • Fuel Pressure Transducer, Powered, 15 psi, Gage, w/connector, Kavlico P4055-15G-E4A (p/n 494-30004-03)
    • Type K Thermocouple, 3/8-24 Bayonet, EGT, Alcor 86255 (p/n 494-70001-00)
    • Shunt, Ammeter, +/-50mV, 100 amps, UMA 1C4 (p/n 909-D0000-00)
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks Dustin. Yup I think Ill send it back. So what does the CAN bus NOT provide? Just fuel flow and fuel pressure?
    What pressure sensor does everyone use that attaches to the fine filter manifold?

Answer found: page 24-10 and 24-3 for anyone else interested
    Last edited by JoeRuscito; 07-30-2019 at 06:17 PM.

The only sensor you need for the 912iS will be the fuel pressure sensor attached to the manifold you mention.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Well it looks like garmin charges a 25% restocking fee too. Is anyone interested in buying the 912 sensor kit and fuel flow sensor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just went through that same BS problem. Told to get the kit, find out it's not necessary but need a different fuel pressure sensor only. I was able to return my kit and just get the sensor. I got a 50 PSI sensor. I think.
    912 IS
    Airmaster Prop
    Garmin Stack
    C-FKLO

Correct me if I’m wrong but doesn’t the rotax fuel pumps get up to around 60 psi?

I recommend to anyone reading this to not buy any sensors until after you have engine installed. You will then have a better understanding of what you need.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!