Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Kitfox 5 Tailwheel owner - landing problem

Default New Kitfox 5 Tailwheel owner - landing problem

Hi,

My grass strip is 1200’ long. With airspeed of 55 mph on final approach and full flapperon, I’m find that she floats and floats. Sometimes I have to abort landing due to the floating. I had no similar problems with my Aeronca Chief.

Does anyone have suggestions?

Thanks

Default Re: New Kitfox 5 Tailwheel owner - landing problem

Is your ASI acurate? Maybe it reads slow and you are actually going a bit faster. What speed does it show at stall with power off? You can test an ASI with a manometer. For a certain number of inches of water column, the ASI should read a certain number. The chart in the link gives speeds and manometer reading you should have at those speeds. When I did the test, I blocked off the end of the tube, and then kept folding it up in my hand which increased the pressure to whatever reading I was looking for. Pressure is very small. Don't even think about blowing into it. JImChuk

www.n56ml.com/airspeed_calibration/
    Attached Images Attached Images

A handheld GPS (or any GPS for that matter) will give you an idea if your instruments are accurate.
    Michael Meyers
    KF IV
    Las Vegas, NV

try using 1/2 flaps to reduce float.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

If you are floating you are too fast. As suggested check your airspeed indicator,or better still ignore it and fly the last bit of your approach by angle of attack and sink rate. The final flare should use the wings last remaining lift ensuring no chance of a bounce which will use precious runway length.

To find a good over the fence speed, I would suggest you do some work at altitude to come up with a good number. At a safe altitude do some stalls with 1/2 flaps (11 degrees or first notch in the Series 5) and note the airspeed. For certified airplanes they typically use 1.3 Vso for a final approach speed , but I have found that in my Series 5 that number would produce the float you speak of. I use 1.2 Vso (or 1.2 times the stall speed you saw at altitude.) This will eliminate the float if you cross the fence at this number , but be advised it does not leave you much room for error and PRECISE speed control is mandatory. Also if its windy or gusty you need to bump the number up . Also as Jim mentioned previously stick with 1/2 flaps as some control harmony is lost with full flaps. Bruce N199CL

My ASI isn't accurate down low. It reads high but for rough numbers, my plane doesn't sink on approach until I get below 50kts. I then approach at 45, roll it over the fence with a touch of power and land at 38. If I go any faster she will not land.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

My ASI reads 46 mph at stall with power off and one notch of flaps. I will take a GPS with me on next flight to see if ASI is accurate. What descent rate do you typically aim for on final?
    Thanks for all your suggestions, guys.

Thanks for posting that link Jim. Very useful. And I agree with Dusty, sounds like you're too fast for the flap setting you have.
    David
    SS7 Builder

My Series 5 (w/IO-240B) took a long time to learn to land. It's a speed issue really, any speed that "feels"
    comfortable will result in float. If you're slow enough to land short, it's mushy, and sinky feeling, and does
    not feel comfortable ...

The one good thing is that the airplane is pretty predictable when feeling mushy, and sinky, so you can fly
    it by seat of pants feel pretty well

Experience and practice are the key, and for sure if it's floating it's going too fast.

Also in my opinion the only thing the flaperons do for landing is change the pitch attitude, they really don't
    influence the float issue that much ...

Jeff
    Last edited by n85ae; 07-31-2019 at 10:12 AM.