Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kitfox Lite Squared Weight Conundrum

Default Kitfox Lite Squared Weight Conundrum

Hi all,

I'm pretty much through the purchase process of a 2006 Kitfox Lite Squared and I have a slight conundrum. I love the plane but in the weight and balance it looks to be really really heavy. The empty weight is listed at 737lb, which I can't quite wrap my head around. It has grove gear now but had the original gear when it first made that hefty weigh in. Poring through the forum posts for mention of other Kitfox IV empty weights, it appears a typical number is in the 650 range, give or take. I've also found mention of "heavy" IV's topping out around 705lb. I've gone through hundreds of receipts from the build and can't see any mention of anything that would add 50lb to a typical weigh-in. Other things added that might affect it are wheel pants, widebody mod, bubble doors, 13gal wing tanks, finished baggage area. Would these things add up to a 737lb empty weight? That feels more like Series V territory.

I'm having it weighed this week. I need to ensure it wasn't an error with the original W&B measurements.

Thanks

Default Re: Kitfox Lite Squared Weight Conundrum

I flew in a Kitfox 4 light squared with a 503 in Pennsecola Fl. that the owner said weighed 525 lbs. I know it performed very well with just the 52 HP. Grove gear probably adds 15-20 lbs over stock gear, but you sound like the plane is very heavy for a Kitfox 4. Look further after it's weighed, and then you know for sure. JImChuk

737 is not totally out of line for a nose-dragger with wheel pants and a finished interior.

I saw a pretty IV nose-dragger at OSH last week with a very fancy interior and all the goodies with an empty weight of 850! Now that is HEAVY!!
    Av8r3400
    Kitfox Model IV
    The Mangy Fox
    912UL 105hp Zipper
    YouTube Videos

What engine is in it?

The first scales I weighed my plane with read 120lbs high. I nearly had a heart attack. I would say reweigh first.
    ------------------
    Josh Esser
    Flying SS7
    Rotax 914iS
    AirMaster Prop

Edmonton, AB, CWL3

Heya Josh,

It's a 912ULS. I just purchased it, hopefully picking it up from Minnesota next week (still working out insurance). Interesting that your scales read high, I'm hoping it's something similar but haven't had the chance to weight it yet. What is your current scale setup like?

P.S. I'm the guy who commented on your diet FB post mentioning the strobe controller. I was digging through all of the build receipts (the builder kept everything) and found a schematic containing a large box labeled "strobe power supply", did some Googling and found early 00's models can be heavy haha. It's in my target sights

Cheers,
    Damien

Where in Mn was this plane? I'm in the northern part of the state near Chisholm. Don't worry, not looking for another one.... I have to many already. JImChuk

Minnetrista, MN. I was out there last week inspecting. Sale has gone through, now just have to pick her up. Super excited!

img.jpg
    Last edited by famo; 08-02-2019 at 09:42 PM.

Looks nice, that's about 200 miles south of me. JImChuk

I flew a lite squared tri-gear model 4 with 912 uls and it came out to 725lbs. Flew great. Lots of avionics and nice interior. Also flew SkyStars factory Lite Squared. It flew OK but was kind of draggy the way it was configured even with the 100 hp Rotax up front.
    Remember that is the same wing and engine that lots of guys are flying 800 plus pound model 5,6. & 7’s and having tons of fun. You may find ways to lighten it after purchase. Just weigh it after and calculate the weight and balance. Oh, and congrats on your purchase.😀

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Thanks DF! I like the Lite Squared because it's different. The model 4 characteristics (and price) with the series 5/6 gear flexibility was attractive to me. I don't think I'll get too aggressive about lightening it, moreso just looking forward to flying. I have about 80 hours in a 7 SS and now have my own KF, so couldn't be happier