Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: whats the heaviest motor ever put on a Kitfox

Default Re: whats the heaviest motor ever put on a Kitfox

I was holding back too. I believe the dry weight of the IO-240 is listed at 246#. Just like Bruce I am very happy with the performance of the aircraft with the IO-240 on my model 5 Kitfox. I think I ended up with one of the lightest planes with the IO-240. I have a useful load around 660# and over 500# with full fuel. My normal flying CG is always near the front limit (me and fuel), but I can almost put the full 150# of cargo in the back and not be out the aft CG limit.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

My IO-340 with accessories and harness etc weighed in at 279.5.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Jeff
    KF 5
    340KF

That is probably similar to a dressed out IO-240. Yours looks so much cooler though.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Just out of curiosity Bruce and Phil, what are the stick forces like on landing with a fwd cg i.e. are they heavy ?. And have you ever felt close to reaching the limit of elevator power when in that config ?.
    David
    SS7 Builder

David , It was very important to me to be able to trim out all forces on final when at my over the fence speed, so I put anything with weight aft (battery, elt, big fat boost pump etc.) While this tactic got me close to that goal, the trim assist kit put me over the hump and allows me to trim to hands free on final when fully configured at 55 mph. Actually still have a touch of up trim left when its all said and done. So to answer your questions , no heavy stick forces and no I do not run out of elevator , I have full authority for a full stall 3 point landing. Another thing that helped was installing a elevator gap seal, hard to describe , but it gave the elevator a touch more authority right at the end of the flare. With your engine package that is lighter than ours you should be fine . Bruce N199CL

I upgraded to the larger (current design) elevator at John McBean's suggestion. I do not have the trim assist kit, but have seriously thought about installing it. With full flaps I do have a fairly high stick force. There is enough nose up trim with half flaps. I installed a gap seal on my elevator last year using Gorilla heavy duty tape and it seems to help a little.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

Hi, interesting to read the weights and distribution of the center of gravity of each one.
    Captainden, in Argentina, aeronautized car engines are widely used. The cost of a Rotax is equivalent to 4 or 5 car engines, when the budget is small there is no other option. They work well, there are planes flying more than 10 years ago. They've even used an Audi 2.0 diesel without problems. The most sought after are the Japanese, Suzuki M10 and Honda L15, they have an aluminum block that gives them a gross weight close to 200 pounds.
    I think Rotax's performance is hard to beat, but in some countries cost is a big factor when it comes to choosing, it's not just about benefits.
    Look for Aeromomentum, they have good engines at a good price

Blowing the dust off this thread. New guy question: Do all of you folks with the heavier engines have the 1 degree forward sweep as well?

Mine does.
    Phil Nelson
    Flying since 2016

That would be an affirmative to the wing sweep on my IO-240 powered Series 5. Bruce N199CL