Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Electrical Build

Default Electrical Build

I am contemplating building a Kitfox. I am a mechanical engineer and very capable with tools. However, I'm scared to death of electrical. For those out there that have built there own plane, what am i getting into with airplane electrical (engine, instruments, etc...). If the instructions are detailed I can follow them but how good are the wiring instructions?

Default Re: Electrical Build

TEC, I’m an Engineer too and the electrical part started out being a bit daunting to me as well. But I have no doubt you’ll be able to sort through the electrical and avionics issues that come up. For me, along with the fabric covering which I hadn’t done either, the electrical/avionics side was the most interesting. I’ve learned heaps, as will you if you take it on. As far as instructions, the manual provides you with schematics for the basic electrics wiring but as every build is different, wiring of avionics and other electric devices is given via the manufacturers installation information. Finally, this site is an absolute gold mine of information and if you ask a question, someone here will have done it before and chime in. Good luck with your decision making.
    David
    SS7 Builder

Hi TEC. I am just like you. So, I paid for harnesses, not cheap. Stein Air is the source I believe, hands down. Maybe Carl will have something to add. I will do the wires myself if I should ever do it again. You will certainly hear the adage "you don't eat an elephant in one sitting". The most daunting thing, in my opinion, is trying to purchase all the wire that you may need. I suppose if I had just looked at one electrical item at a time, I could have acquired the wire little by little. Even after I bought the harnesses, my electrical wiring is probably the ugliest thing on my plane since you have to give your best measurements and they aren't nearly as precise as having wires placed one at a time. Some of mine had to be routed slightly different than anticipated due to being a bit short or slightly long. Don't skip a build on account of wiring, just spend a bit more and get help where you need it.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

People with far less technical know-how than a mechanical engineer have successfully wired aircraft. It seems daunting in your head, but once you get your hands in there, you find it's not rocket surgery. There are many reasons someone might choose not to build and airplane. But like Eddie said, fear of wiring shouldn't be one of them.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

I am right in the middle of wiring mine up. Never wired anything on an airplane before. Making good progress and its not to bad once you get going. Learning curve is kind of steep, but very doable. Some things have been complicated, but once you wrap your mind around it, its not bad. I watched garmin videos on wiring G3x. Stein Air has a bunch of videos on wiring practices. G3X install manual has a lot of good info. Vertical power instructions also has a lot of good info. You do have to put in the time, but once you do your homework, things seem to get moving along. Crossing my fingers it does something when I flip the switch, preferably not smoke. I took Eddie's recommendation and decided to do it myself instead of hire a company to build the harness. I can see if you had a harness made it would be very hard to get them to fit just how you want. At least with the garmin stuff. Dynon I have heard good things about the ready to go panel.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

it's not rocket surgery
    And, it's not brain science either.

Get a quality ratcheting crimper appropriate for all the connectors you will use (you may need more than one). In addition, quality wire stripers. After that one wire at a time, and it gets done.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post

Get a quality ratcheting crimper appropriate for all the connectors you will use (you may need more than one). In addition, quality wire stripers.

Ralph
    Excellent suggestion. Good quality wiring tools that won't break the bank are available on Amazon. A ratcheting crimper, automatic wire stripper, and good crimpers for pin terminals in wiring harnesses are a must. Even though there are only a few coax antenna connections to make, it's worth buying or borrowing a coax stripper and crimper also. If you're stripping wires with a utility knife, you're going to have a bad time.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Foe those in the know. Which good quality electrical tools can builders recommend?

1.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Neiko-01902-A...gateway&sr=8-3

I was going to go the mil-spec on everything. About fell off my chair when I saw the price. I would suggest watching videos that Stein air has on youtube and watch the G3x series if you are doing garmin. I circled the ones I got.

For the BNC connectors that you will need for the antennas, I just called stein air and told them the lengths I needed and they built them. It was like 80$.

I got this crimper for the battery terminals and it has worked good.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Thanks for all the comments folks. You make it sound very doable. I'll be flying my first Kitfox next month at Stick & Rudder. I'll be making a decision soon after. I appreciate all of the comments.