Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: HKS 700E - Engine

Question HKS 700E - Engine

I am building a experimental plane and I ordered the HKS 700E - 4 stroke 60HP engine. I just found out that the manufacturer has decided to stop building these engines because their real focus is high quality engines for race cars. My order will be filled as they have started building it along with 9 others that are already in the pipeline. Does anyone have any insight into this as what about availability of parts . . . down the road . . . resale someday of the plane ???

Default Re: HKS 700E - Engine

The question of parts availability is best directed at the manufacturer. I would guess that the clock is ticking. They won't support a discontinued engine forever.

Resale value - Anything other than a Rotax hurts a Kitfox's resale at least a little. A one-off, custom firewall-forward installation of a discontinued engine that was never supported by Kitfox will not be considered desirable. I notice that you didn't specifically say this is a Kitfox we're talking about. If it's a less common airframe, then potential buyers may be more comfortable with an uncommon engine installation.
    --Brian
    Flying - S7SS

Thank you for the feedback. I spoke directly to the US distributor for the HKS engine and parts . . . and he assured me that the very large company is very reputable and has committed to provided parts for at least 10 years . . . and combined with the reputation of this engine . . . it gives me comfort to go ahead with the HKS. The companies "mainstay" are high quality engines for race cars.
    I am building a CGS Hawk Arrow II - 2 place being built.

I've still got my Kitfox 4 project, haven't worked on it for a while due to job, kids, etc. But I'm getting a bit more free time. Still have the HKS firewall forward. The 582 in a Kitfox has the exhaust modified to fit the cowl and it does cost some hp. In fact one of the guys over at AvidFoxFlyers years ago added the stock length back and pick up power. Had to add an ugly cowl blister to do it. Point is that the 60 hp HKS with the right prop is not a bad alternative to the 582. I flew behind the 582 on my III and never liked it. Had to tear it apart twice in 200 hours. Parts cost was high but *nothing* like the cost of maintaining the older 912 on my CH601HDS. I really want to keep the HKS.

So having ranted all that, who did you speak to regarding parts? I'm thinking of the Rotorway engine as an example.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity Mike View Post
    Thank you for the feedback. I spoke directly to the US distributor for the HKS engine and parts . . . and he assured me that the very large company is very reputable and has committed to provided parts for at least 10 years . . . and combined with the reputation of this engine . . . it gives me comfort to go ahead with the HKS. The companies "mainstay" are high quality engines for race cars.
    Building a KF IV Classic

Quote Originally Posted by Tenacity Mike View Post
    Hi Mike I converted my Kitfox 3 to a HKS back in 2006 had a Rotax 582, I now have 525+ hours on the HKS I wouldn't worry about parts as the only thing I've had to do to mine is change oil oil filters and spark plugs I did have to replace the carb boots back in 2005/6 there were a bunch of bad boots made and out for use after replacing the boot with good ones never a problem the HKS uses no oil between oil changes (every 50 hrs) fuel ueage is 3 gals per hour starts and runs perfect but accurate carb balancing is a must and when could must idle at 2000 R's or it is very rough when warm like after a flight it will idle at 15 / 1600 smooth my flying time has gone down drastically the past few years do to arthritis but I was just up this afternoon for an hour
    GB
    Flying a HKS Kitfox III and a Champ

Anyone have them smoke a bit at idle? I have one i just got done setting carbs up. after warmed up at stable idle 1830 solid i notice a bit of oil smoke. plugs are clean but only notice it at idle.