Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Kitfox II - Questions

Default Kitfox II - Questions

I’m an aircraft owner of another brand, 4 place, low wing already and have been for about 20 years. I use it for trips, etc. So, I plan on keeping it. However, I’m interested in a Kitfox just for local fun flights.

I ran across a model II in really nice condition, but of course it has the 582 blue head. I’d like any input from experienced owners of model II aircraft that can give some guidance on the good, bad or otherwise for the model II? Such as, how difficult is the 582 to maintain? What’s your experience with reliability of this engine? What’s the typical fuel consumption? Other suggestions?

Any other comments on the Model II airframe that experienced owners could offer would also be greatly appreciated! I really don’t know where to start on the airframe. I’ve read all I can find on the different models, but would like to hear from experienced owners.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Kitfox II - Questions

My father built and flew his Model II for around 235hrs. All on a Rotax 532 which gave him not a single hiccup the entire time he flew behind it.
    The key is keeping up maintenance. Making sure the oil is mixed with the fuel. Changing spark plugs every 30 to 40 hrs. Being vigilant on coolant temp and EGT's.
    All in all should be a good performing motor for you. I now own his kitfox, I put a 582 on it with oil injection so I don't have to mix the gas, its been great so far and i foresee no issues long as I maintain it properly.
    I haven't tested fuel consumption rate just yet as I've only just started flying it having rebuilt it from being in storage. But I believe others say its around 4 to 5 gph at cruise depending on your cruise rpm. I've found 5100 to 5200 rpm cruise works great for me and I get 65mph IAS out of it at that setting.

The model II does have some interesting flight characteristics but nothing you can't handle.
    Its squirly on the ground meaning the roll out you need to be on your toes and ready to be punching and jabbing the rudder pedals.
    Its one of the harder tail wheel planes to handle on the ground due to its short coupled wheels and short tail. So make sure your tail wheel endorsed and maybe get some time with someone familiar with the kitfox to instruct you at first.
    It does have a lot of adverse yaw in the air. And turns have to be started with rudder pedal engagement and then alieron input. If you do just alieron you will yaw and pitch the plane the other way. This takes a very short time to get used to but should be known before going up, or else you'll think the plane is broken.

When you release the rudder you'll need to apply opposite rudder as the plane will stay where you put it otherwise, you'll learn to fly by your feet quickly.

Other than those few little quirks (or as I like to call them, features ) its not much different then any other plane.
    Take care of it, and enjoy it!
    You won't go anywhere fast...but you'll have fun the whole time your going.

Default Re: Kitfox II - Questions

Thank you for a great response. Sounds like you’ve got a great little airplane there. I’ll take a look at this one and see if it’ll do what I’m wanting.

Take care!

Quote Originally Posted by KitfoxSS View Post
    My father built and flew his Model II for around 235hrs. All on a Rotax 532 which gave him not a single hiccup the entire time he flew behind it.
    The key is keeping up maintenance. Making sure the oil is mixed with the fuel. Changing spark plugs every 30 to 40 hrs. Being vigilant on coolant temp and EGT's.
    All in all should be a good performing motor for you. I now own his kitfox, I put a 582 on it with oil injection so I don't have to mix the gas, its been great so far and i foresee no issues long as I maintain it properly.
    I haven't tested fuel consumption rate just yet as I've only just started flying it having rebuilt it from being in storage. But I believe others say its around 4 to 5 gph at cruise depending on your cruise rpm. I've found 5100 to 5200 rpm cruise works great for me and I get 65mph IAS out of it at that setting.

The model II does have some interesting flight characteristics but nothing you can't handle.
    Its squirly on the ground meaning the roll out you need to be on your toes and ready to be punching and jabbing the rudder pedals.
    Its one of the harder tail wheel planes to handle on the ground due to its short coupled wheels and short tail. So make sure your tail wheel endorsed and maybe get some time with someone familiar with the kitfox to instruct you at first.
    It does have a lot of adverse yaw in the air. And turns have to be started with rudder pedal engagement and then alieron input. If you do just alieron you will yaw and pitch the plane the other way. This takes a very short time to get used to but should be known before going up, or else you'll think the plane is broken.

When you release the rudder you'll need to apply opposite rudder as the plane will stay where you put it otherwise, you'll learn to fly by your feet quickly.

Other than those few little quirks (or as I like to call them, features ) its not much different then any other plane.
    Take care of it, and enjoy it!
    You won't go anywhere fast...but you'll have fun the whole time your going.