Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Opinions on a purchase (Kitfox Lite Squared)

Default Opinions on a purchase (Kitfox Lite Squared)

I found a year 2000 KF Lite Squared with a 912 ULS, straight floats, and a 3-blade prop. Very clean and with low hours. I could grab this for about $30k USD.

How does that sound? I’m new to the KF field of study and I’m currently a Mooney owner with a changing mission. I’ve only read negative things about the legacy KF models 1-3. I have zero tail dragger and zero float time. Is this what I want to get into to start with? I’d want to get amphibs one day too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: Opinions on a purchase (Kitfox Lite Squared)

The Light Squared is a IV with convertible main gear (it can be switched from a tricycle to taildragger and back as needed). Basically in 2000 they wanted to make a version of the IV that was easier for student pilots, so devised a version that could be reconfigured as a tri. It became popular and a bunch were sold / built. I think they were also built a little lighter due to a pared down avionics setup. I think $30k is good value for low time and well looked after. I'd go for it.

Some info:

The popularity of the Kitfox Lite led to the demand for a two place, ultralight trainer with flight characteristics that are similar to SkyStar’s popular single place ultralight. A proven version of the Kitfox Classic 4 was packaged to meet this demand, resulting in the very fast build, Rotax 503 powered Kitfox Lite Squared. This well-proven design flies like the Lite, its single place counterpart, and offered the ability to upgrade to a variety of larger engines. SkyStar picked up on the success of the convertible Series 6, and equipped the Kitfox Lite Squared with a convertible landing gear system. It can be assembled as a tri-gear or tailwheel airplane and then changed at a later date. The Kitfox Lite Squared was sold as a very cost effective package, and can be operated as an ultralight, experimental or Sport Plane.
    source: http://www.pilotfriend.com/experimental/acft4/18.htm

First off, the Kitfox 1 to 3 are good planes. It's just that some pilots don't know what their feet are for when they are sitting in an airplane. Feet on the rudder control adverse yaw, which is more present on the early Kitfoxes then the later ones. The Kitfox light squared is actually a Kitfox 4 that was supposed to have a real light empty weight. Here is a link to an article about them. Google is my friend. :-) Not a float flyer, so I won't go there. JImChuk

lightsportaircraftpilot.com/kitfoxlite_squared/index.html

Oh JImChuk's post reminded me, standard Lite Squared came with 10gal fuel tank so check if that fits your needs. Some were built with the IV tanks and thus had 26gal I think.

p.s. I'm in the market for a Lite Squared too. I like the idea of the IV with 912ULS and the convertible gear is handy if you want to change it up for some reason (loved one learning to fly or something).

I got a response from the seller that it has 180 hours and they are the builder. I have another opportunity for a Model 2 on floats (582) not that far from me asking $18,500. How much of a leap in safety, reliability, and ownership experience is it for for a $12,000-14,000 difference in price between the two (KF IV vs. KF II and 912ULS vs. 583)?
    Last edited by chipjumper; 07-24-2019 at 08:37 AM.

If you get the 582 powered machine I guarantee that you’ll spend a lot of time flying with that in mind. You’ll constantly be vigilant or at least you’d better be.
    That said, I am THOROUGHLY enjoying mine but in the air the 582 is never far from the forefront of my thoughts.

Jon
    Kitfox IV 1050, C180. Now I have two backcountry planes! WooHoo!