Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: VFR panel ideas ??

Default VFR panel ideas ??

I'm building an SS7 and just starting to get some ideas for my panel, which is aways off yet.
    Like most, money is a consideration. I know very little about the so called glass cockpits, however I have thousands of hours IFR and VFR as a professional pilot & CFI on steam gauges. I'm not looking for a lot of bells and whistles. Here's a list of what I'd like.

Flight instruments.
    Engine Instruments
    GPS, moving map.
    Transponder ADSB out (2020 compliant)
    Comm Radio

I'm not interested in IFR, just VFR
    I'll be installing a 4 cylinder Cont O-200 engine.

Just curious what you would recommend? Also, what do you think the above equipment would cost?
    I can do the installation myself if needed, would like to have a shop do the panel, but I'm sure that wouldn't be cheap, any idea what that cost would be?
    One last question, any idea, what a steam gauge comparable panel would cost compared to the above?

Any ideas, comments pros or cons, and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Brian

Default Re: VFR panel ideas ??

All my stuff is Garmin. 10" and 7" screen (could do with one screen -$2000), Auto pilot with 2 servos (could do without $2200), Com radio and Mode S with squiter ADSB in and out compliant with WAAS GPS. That all meets your needs and Subtract what I could do without and you would be left with about 13 to $14K
    Attached Images Attached Images

Have a look at MGL

8.5" iEFIS Lite $2850
    RDAC for your engine $375
    SP6 Magnetometer $260

Total $3485

Add 2 autopilot servos $1900

I'd go for a remote radio and transponder (mine are Trig) but you'll have to see what those cost in the US as I don't know.

Obviously the EFIS has a moving map but if you wanted something separate (that can also be loaded up with some form of nav software) then look at the Guardian Avionics panel mount for an iPad (or mini). Looks much better than an ugly RAM mount sticking out of the panel

My Dynon VFR panel fully ADS-B in & out 2020 compliant. Garmin SL40 radio, PS Engr intercom, Falcon vertical card compass. About $7000 4.5 years ago.
    Jim Ott
    Portland, OR
    Kitfox SS7 flying
    Rotax 912ULS

Hi Brian - I don't know if this will be helpful... I hope so. I too am building an SS7, and decided from the get-go that I wanted only VFR "old fashioned" steam gauges - plus a few whistles & bells. Keep in mind that I used some relatively expensive individual 1.25" UMA engine monitoring instruments - there are cheaper options. Everything is new. I used mil-spec sealed Honeywell toggle switches, TruTrak Digitrak single-axis autopilot, Garmin com radio and Garmin Mode C Transponder, iFly 740 GPS, uAvionix ADS-B in & out, TruTrak solid-state Pictorial Turn & Bank, etc. Everything, including wire, connectors, etc. was about 10 grand. The bulk of that is in the avionics. I think you could build a basic panel for a lot less than that. I like the looks and the concept of individual gauges and components, and that's why I did it - not because it would be a lot cheaper. It's what I wanted... it just suits me.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Steam gauges is what the wife i wanted. Relatively cheap but i dont have a cost for you at this time. Comm and transponder purchased used. Wiring was fairly easy except for the transponder/alt encoder; had to throw $330 to the avionics shop to correct wiring mistakes. Using a 7" tablet for gps and go-pro management.
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

Ken, that is a beautiful panel. Just the way I would copy you had I seen it and was going steam. Im not very original, my glass is a copy as well.
    Eddie

Great looking panels guys. Congrats. I'd enjoy flying behind all of them.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    Ken, that is a beautiful panel. Just the way I would copy you had I seen it and was going steam. Im not very original, my glass is a copy as well.
    Eddie
    Thanks Eddie!
    SS7 O-200 Whirlwind

I agree with Eddie, Ken... it looks really good!
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime