Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SS with Continental Engine Battery Placement

Default SS with Continental Engine Battery Placement

I'm trying to figure out the best way to mount the battery tray in the tail of the fuselage. I've got the location from the drawings, but I'm not sure about the fasteners. It shows the tray being attached to two tubes on one side, but there is no mention of the other side. Seems it would be a bit office balance with being attached only on one side, and the tray is not wide enough to reach the other side of the fuselage tubes.

What have other Continental builders done about securing the tray in that area?

Also, does anyone have a recommendation for the right physical size for a battery? The tray measures 6 11/16 x 5 inches.

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Default Re: SS with Continental Engine Battery Placement

Tommy, I built a Series 5 with a Continental IO-240 up front so my battery is in the empennage like yours. I used the standard attach method as specified by Skystar's instructions. This proved to be a near disaster for me. The instructions called for 6 adel clamps in various spots to secure the battery tray. this proved to be woefully inadequate. during preflight one day I noticed what I thought was a mud spot just below my battery area on my fabric. When I tried to rub it off , I found it to be something hard protruding thru the fabric from the inside. I immediately took off the battery access cover and was shocked to find that 5 out of my six battery attach points had failed and the battery and tray were floating just above my rudder cables. The adel clamps had torn completely, as well as the aluminum angle at the back corners of the battery tray. . i suspect this occurred during spin testing and recovery as the torque forces in the tail must be strong during recovery. as you can imagine had i not found this before flying , it could have been a disaster in flight , with the proximatey of the elevator tube and rudder cables in this area. i changed the whole attach method after this incident and put out a service bulletin to alert others that had their battery in the tail like us. I am going to attach photos of before and after to show how i fixed the problem. I have spun the airplane with this setup with no ill affects. Suffice it to say that I will never trust adel clamps to secure anything to the tubing that has any weight to it. My new homemade tube clamps are made from 4130 steel tube and are the same strength as the airframe. sorry about the longwinded answer but I felt this to be a serious safety issue with the battery in the tail. by the way , I use an Odyssey PC 680 battery that weighs 16 lbs and measures 7.15" long by 3.00" wide by 6.65" high.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Some very valuable info here and you don't know how much I appreciate it.

This forum and the members are like a band of brothers....

Please see the private email I sent you.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Tommy
    I installed an o-200 with a lightweight starter and generator. Also has a composite whirlwind prop. I installed my battery on a tray behind the baggage compartment. Did not have any issues with weight/balance. There is a photo in my album.
    Danny
    SuperSport

I made a custom battery box from fiberglass cloth and resin to fit an Odyssey 680 battery behind the pilot seat. The box is anchored to the frame members with Adel clamps, large fender washers and -4 hardware. The battery just fits inside the box with room for a little foam padding.

John Pitkin
    Greenville, Texas

Thanks guys!
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

We also put ours behind the seat:
    Mark & Renee Smith
    Boise, ID
    "Build It ..."

The posts reflect my thinking pretty much. I doubt Adel clamps were designed to secure heavy structures in high stress areas. The first thing I thought of with the original question was stories told by a FAA inspector who spend the first 20 years of his career as an accident investigator in Alaska. One of the "I'll never forget" comments he made was the number of fatal accidents, otherwise surviveable, that turned bad by missiles generated by poorly secured objects in the back of the airplanes. The most bizarre - the fishing pole protruding from the back of a passenger's head. --A battery secured by adel clamps? It also reminds me of the day my wife and I went down, when the Bonanza that followed us out of Camran Park six hours later got caught in high density altitude issues and flipped onto its back unable to climb over rising terrain. The two back seat passengers died. Ice chests, scuba tanks etc. Be careful.
    Lowell

What we decided to do:

I bought the Battery from the McBeans at Kitfox.
    Thanks for all the replies.
    Here's some info:

Up to 80% smaller than the stock battery
    Up to 10lbs Lighter than the stock battery
    Service life of over twice a lead acid in similar conditions
    Industry leading 3 year warranty
    Designed, developed, and assembled in the USA
    Hard mounted brass terminals for a direct replacement installation
    Completely “dry” technology so batteries can be mounted in any direction
    Non-toxic, recyclable, and can be air shipped
    Applications for engines from 50cc - 1800cc
    Tested extensively by professional race teams
    Impact and water resistant
    No special charger required
    No trickle charger required, loses only 10% of charge over a year of static use

Oh, and we are going to mount it behind the pilot's seat and just add weight in the tail for W&B.
    Last edited by MotReklaw; 10-22-2012 at 12:23 PM.
    Tommy Walker in Alabama

Tommy, sounds like a great idea. How much does the battery weigh? Keep us posted on how it works starting the O-200, might be an option for me down the road. thanks Bruce