Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 10 of 58 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast

Thread: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Default Re: STI Farm Fox Build Log

Quote Originally Posted by 109JB View Post
    I ordered the Garmin stuff for my Kitfox IV rebuild through a local avionics shop. The order included a G5X EFIS, 2 GSA28 servos, a GMC507 autopilot control head, GMU11 magnetometer, and all the connector kits. I ordered on a Monday and got a call from them the following Monday that everything had arrived. Buying through my local avionics shop was cheaper than ordering through Aircraft Spruce.
    That was some good service time from your dealer. We are about 100 miles from our local radio dealer so its not so local. I do wish we had one closer to talk with.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Really enjoying your build videos - I love the "can do" attitude. I'm curious about the mixing tips. Are you using the stepped ones you can cut to different diameter dispensing holes, or the tapered ones? How many tips do you figure for the whole build -- and are you re-filling the adhesive tubes from the cans? Also are you mixing in any flox?

I'm just asking as this seem to be a huge time saver...

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    We got rained out of the fields today so with no break downs to fix we got back on the plane.
    Finished gluing up the speedster tail wood, most of it , I ran out of stiffener plywood and had to order some plywood.
    Cut the alum angle that mounts for the inspection doors to attach to but can't mount it till I get the wood finished and the fiber glass filler in between the stabilizer and rudder.

Does anyone remember how long it takes to get rough in parts , autopilot servos, aoa pitot tube hoses , antennas and what ever else that needs to go in before covering? Just trying to stay ahead before I get behind.

Edit. I also discovered the mixing tubes that go on the 50ml twin tubes that fit the glue guns. Wow they work great and it makes it very enjoyable to lay glue. I now have to figure how to refill those little tubes of glue because they are pricy.
    Last edited by Pushboy; 05-24-2020 at 01:23 PM.

[QUOTE=Pushboy;91911]Really enjoying your build videos - I love the "can do" attitude. I'm curious about the mixing tips. Are you using the stepped ones you can cut to different diameter dispensing holes, or the tapered ones? How many tips do you figure for the whole build -- and are you re-filling the adhesive tubes from the cans? Also are you mixing in any flox?

I'm just asking as this seem to be a huge time saver...

The tips I'm using are Loctite brand and have a small hole with the steps you can cut larger. I have some off brands coming that are a tenth of the price but they aren't here yet. I'm not done so 25 would be a guess?? I only use them when I have several to glue.

I am refilling the small tubes and I have not ran any flox through the tip. I doubt it would flow.

Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Default Rudder cable question

I am a little confused on the rudder cables. Reading the book I didnt under stand, does the pilot cables both go to the rudder and the copilots attach at the mid point? Or different than that?

And anything special I need to watch/or do while installing them? Thanks
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

You've got it correct.
    Be certain all your cables are running appropriately before swagging. I thought mine were but in the end it came to be that they had an overlap that, from my perspective, was blocked from my view by part of the tubing of the airframe. That is how I came to replace my first ruined part in the build.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

Quote Originally Posted by efwd View Post
    You've got it correct.
    Be certain all your cables are running appropriately before swagging. I thought mine were but in the end it came to be that they had an overlap that, from my perspective, was blocked from my view by part of the tubing of the airframe. That is how I came to replace my first ruined part in the build.

Thanks, its not as fun the 2nd time I've found. Ha ha
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Had a productive day today. Got the rudder cables in with the help/hinderance of 5 boys from 11 to 15 years old from our church that wanted to ride out on their bikes from town to see the plane and stayed all afternoon. We had a good time but progress slowed but all enjoyed a good rainy day.
    We messed up our first swage by letting the cable tail disappear up the piece when we made our first crimp. After that we cut the tails after we made our crimp.
    Still have to glue guides in place and trim copilot cables.

I hope the cables are in right, all pedals move the rudder the right way!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Hmm, interesting to see that first image where you don't have the adjustable rudder pedals. Sure frees up some real-estate down there near the firewall.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X

It sure does, Eddie... that's what I did too.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

See, sometimes tall people do save money.
    Eddie Forward
    Flying
    SS7, 912iS, Garmin G3X