Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Radiator hose to water pump.

Default Radiator hose to water pump.

Trying to do other things while waiting for parts. The radiator left side is connected. The right side is supposed to go to water pump, but the water pump attach is pointed at the left side of the engine. Am I supposed to remove it and rotate it to face the right side? The instructions say the hose has a curve in it, but my hose is strait hose in a coil.

Default Re: Radiator hose to water pump.

Flyboy,

It is possible you plane may have different routing than our early model S7; but, here is a photo of the right side if that helps.

I believe the water pump intake can be rotated to some extent after removing the two screws.

Please disregard the crappy old radiator - that was replaced with an aluminum one since this photo was taken.

I think the only curve in the hose is due to it being in a coil for a long time.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Dave S
    Kitfox 7 Trigear (Flying since 2009)
    912ULS Warp Drive

St Paul, MN

Dave’s right - the water pump housing plate can be rotated. I received a piece of formed radiator hose in my kit to use for that area, I believe. I didn’t use it because I went with all silicone hoses.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime

Here is what I am up against. This is taken from right side. I don’t have any ideas about getting the hose on and turning it back toward me and then down to radiator.
    Last edited by Flyboy66; 05-12-2019 at 01:16 PM. Reason: More photos

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    Dave’s right - the water pump housing plate can be rotated. I received a piece of formed radiator hose in my kit to use for that area, I believe. I didn’t use it because I went with all silicone hoses.

John, does it go back together using same parts? O ring? Or just a regular gasket?

Steve

You can just rotate it. It’s just has an o-ring in it.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by jrevens View Post
    John, tell me more about silicone hoses. Where did you get them? Advantages?

steve

Quote Originally Posted by Flyboy66 View Post
    John, tell me more about silicone hoses. Where did you get them? Advantages?

steve
    Steve,
    There are many online suppliers for reinforced silicone hose designed for this type of application. The race car guys use it a lot, so many speed shops carry it. I listed some links in my build thread... don't remember exactly when. Biggest advantage is long life... it doesn't deteriorate like most rubber compounds, with age. Unless you damage it, it should probably last "forever". Disadvantage is higher cost. You should also use hose clamps designed for that kind of material - smooth surface, rounded edges, etc. You also wouldn't want to use it with sharp-edged barbed fittings.
    John Evens
    Arvada, CO
    Kitfox SS7 N27JE
    EAA Lifetime
    Chap. 43 honorary Lifetime