Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Cooler Shutter Installation 912ULS

Default Oil Cooler Shutter Installation 912ULS

Hi Everyone, just completed my oil cooler shutter installation. During the winter my oil would rarely go above 170 degrees in flat cruise, even with tape over the oil and water radiators. I bought this shutter, a push-pull cable and cable lock nut (all from same website) and attached two pieces of 1/8x3/4 aluminum plate to the back of the shutter. I used four wire ties to attach the shutter to the front of the oil cooler, and I can remove it in less than a minute. Today I tested the new shutter. At full open shutter, 58 degrees outside temperature, the 912uls still ran at 170 degrees in flat cruise. At half shutter, temperature increased to 210 degrees and full shutter it got up to 238 degrees before I opened it up again. On a 100+ degree day (Prior to shutter install), my Kitfox will hit about 230 degrees when climbing at full throttle. Even though this shutter does not cover my entire cooler, I think it covers enough to keep my engine warm. I can always tape the small section of cooler not covered by the shutter if I encounter some really cold temps. When the hot weather hits next summer I can quickly remove the shutter if it seems to cause overheating. Next time I remove the shutter I will also redrill the holes so the shutter is centered on the radiator.
    IMG_20201127_114105990.jpgIMG_20201127_113955134.jpgIMG_20201127_120344142.jpgIMG_20201127_120355539.jpg
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Default Re: Oil Cooler Shutter Installation 912ULS

Looks great I’m encouraged by your results. I always have a hard time getting my oil up to temp. Where did you purchase the shudder? Thanks

Looks good! How did you mount the cable in the cockpit? Does your cable lock in the position you set it? Is this where you got the cable from?

https://antisplataero.com/products/b...cable-assembly
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by littlecricket View Post
    Looks great I’m encouraged by your results. I always have a hard time getting my oil up to temp. Where did you purchase the shudder? Thanks
    Here is the seller: https://antisplataero.com/products/o...er-air-shutter
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Looks good! How did you mount the cable in the cockpit? Does your cable lock in the position you set it? Is this where you got the cable from?

https://antisplataero.com/products/b...cable-assembly
    I temporarily mounted a bracket for the push/pull cable next to my other knobs controlling choke, throttle and parking brake. The bracket is held in place by the nut on the back of the parking brake push/pull. In the future I will fabricate a new aluminum plate that holds all four push/pull knobs. There is enough friction in this setup that I wont need to worry about locking the cable.
    IMG_20201129_142005510.jpg
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Just ordered the same kit. Thanks for reassuring me. I'll post results when I get it

Quote Originally Posted by 4Hummer View Post
    Just ordered the same kit. Thanks for reassuring me. I'll post results when I get it
    Sounds good. You will need to anchor the outer cable housing just before it gets to the shutter. I wrapped some electrical tape around the housing then used a small hose clamp with a wire tie to secure the cable to the base of the fuel pump as seen in pic.
    IMG_20201129_141938604.jpg
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Here's the Unit I built using anti-splat's louver. Working Perfect, I zipped tied the bracket on as well (easy off if ever required)

DSC_0440.jpg

DSC_0438.jpg

Note the top L has to be notched slightly for the oil lines
    DSC_0439.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 4Hummer; 01-06-2021 at 11:54 PM.

Looks good! I have had some more time to work on mine. I needed it 30% bigger so I have redrawn it on solid works and I found a local shop that will water jet it out. Hopefully getting it cutout this week and start installing it next week.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

When you add these shutters to your oil coolers, how does it impact your cowling? My cowling fits pretty tight around the top of the cooler so, I wonder about the routing of cables, additional bracketry, etc. becoming an issue.
    Fred
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ