Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tire suggestions?

Default Tire suggestions?

I need to upgrade my old stock 20x 7.00-8 Taiwanese tires, but looking for an alternative to the Desser Aero Classic 27.510/8. At 20.5 lb. each, they would be adding roughly 15lb. per side (if I go tubeless). Everything I can find is for a 6" wheel. I would really rather just put some new tires on my existing 8" wheels than change over to new wheels, brakes, mastercylinders, etc.

I have found a couple of places which sell the stock size "Kitfox Tire" but with a 2-ply load rating of 195 lb. they sound even worse than what came with my project. Something like THIS would be good if only I could find it in an 8" wheel size.

Does anybody know if the original Matco 8" wheel can be used tubeless?

This is what my original right side tire looked like after some taxi testing and 1 flight. The pressure was spot on, and there was only a tiny patch of cord showing beforehand. It blew out while taxiing at low speed.

IMG_7243.jpg
    Scot Trueblood
    Bonita Springs, FL

Kitfox IV in Phase 1 Flight Testing

Default Re: Tire suggestions?

Those are not matco wheels. They are Douglas ATV wheels and can be used tubeless. You can put on any ATV, golf cart, lawn mower,etc. Tire on those. No reason you can't run one with knobby treads, or you could buff the treads off. Look at golf cart tires which can be found with less obnoxious treads.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL
    Sonerai IIL (Single Seat)
    Kitfox 3/4 1050 - Rotax 582 (Back Flying and sold)
    Kitfox IV 1050 - Rotax 582 (sold)
    Kitfox IV 1200 Speedster - Rotax 912 UL (project)
    Piper Twin Comanche (Sold)
    Glasair 1 FT (Waiting to start)

My KF3 had trailer tires on those rims. They fit inside the Kitfox wheel pants. I liked them OK but they were very grippy on paved runways. On the other hand wear was not a problem.

My KF4 project has spring gear but the same kind of wheels. If I keep the short wings then I'll put pants on too. If nothing else the pants keep the plane cleaner. There are two Carlisle 18x9.50-8 mower tires I think might work for me. The smooth one is part # 5109811 . The straight ribbed one is part # 518081. They both have a load rating of 1020 lbs and weigh 10-11 lbs each.
    Building a KF IV Classic

I run Nanco Slick tires, 21x12R8. I used to buy them from Amazon but they don't seem to have them anymore. I did a web search and came up with this link, I am sure there is plenty more places that sell them. They look good and work GREAT, I love the "squish" they make on a wheel landing on gravel, and 10 lbs isn't bad.

https://shop.gearworkstireandwheel.c...E-30151002.htm
    IMG_3349.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by WurlyBird View Post
    I run Nanco Slick tires, 21x12R8. I used to buy them from Amazon but they don't seem to have them anymore. I did a web search and came up with this link, I am sure there is plenty more places that sell them. They look good and work GREAT, I love the "squish" they make on a wheel landing on gravel, and 10 lbs isn't bad.

https://shop.gearworkstireandwheel.c...E-30151002.htm
    IMG_3349.jpg
    They don't have them. They are not reliably available anywhere right now and are probably on a ship sitting offshore somewhere. I was able to get one pair a few months ago but while looking for another pair all avenues are coming up empty. Alternate size are available like 18x9.50-8 but the Nanco N800's are a bust at least for me.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

That is unfortunate. I hope they make a come back before I need new tires. I still recommend them if anyone can find them.

I had the Nanco tires on my Model IV-1200 during the entire build, but in the back of my mind, there was this nagging "is it TRULY SAFE" to fly with a set of tires rated for less than half the weight of your aircraft? I know people have done it for years, but....

I ended up buying and now flying a pair of
    "Trac-Gard C/R" Model N777, in the 18x9.50-8 size. These are NOT bald, and have 8 each very shallow ribs for the tread. About $50 each.

I run them at 10 pounds of air. These tires are EACH rated at 1,040 pounds weight capacity at 24 psi. They track beautifully and are excellent so far. I have them on the wheels that came with my original kit in 1993.
    Last edited by GWright6970; 01-12-2022 at 08:00 PM.
    Grover Wright
    Flying a KF IV-1200
    ROTAX 912UL

Guys Walmart has the Nanco N800. $64.00 a Tire

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Nanco-N800-21-12-8/55346860

They even offer shipping

Thanks. I have been checking about once a week many vendors. Last checked Walmart a couple days ago and they were listed as out of stock. Just ordered a pair.
    John Brannen
    Morris, IL

355 each is a little more than (not less than) half the weight of a 1050 lb plane (710 for a pair). I agree that it is less than gross and is cause for contemplation. THAT definitely comes down to the operator. I will run them and am not offended by differing opinion. When I was in school (college type, drop out) I remember learning that things like tires can’t be engineered, 3 axis variables plus time. They are designed, tested, destroyed, redesigned, underrated, and delivered. I’ll certainly be eating crow if I ball my plane up because of a blow out…