Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch

Thread: Dynon vrs Garmin

Default Dynon vrs Garmin

I'm assuming either of these in a 10'' screen would be very nice.
    Would anyone know the price comparison between the two complete systems? I always hear 10k for Garmin with autopilot and most of what one wants.
    Is Dynon the same price? Its hard for me to find any prices to compare these, I'm sure I'm not looking in the right place.
    Thanks for any help.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer
    Flying FarmFox STI Kitfox N61HP
    Rotax 915is, Airmaster prop
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5A...oCVUP15G0uB-Yw

Default Re: Dynon vrs Garmin

When I was shopping and compared the two brands equivalent systems were pretty much the same price. I doubt things have changed very much.

Check this link out at Aircraft Spruce. Their website makes it pretty easy to choose components for a system and see the prices.
    dynonskyview.php
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PapuaPilot View Post
    When I was shopping and compared the two brands equivalent systems were pretty much the same price. I doubt things have changed very much.

Check this link out at Aircraft Spruce. Their website makes it pretty easy to choose components for a system and see the prices.
    dynonskyview.php

Thanks for the link.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

You should also compare the Grand Rapid Technologies Sport Ex 7" and 10". I just installed the 7" (About $2,500) and it works very well and is easy to see in bright sunlight. They also provide FREE database updates, while my old Garmin GPS updates were fairly expensive. Here is the new Sport Ex in my new panel. https://photos.app.goo.gl/vjvkjWQxA8qSptLT9
    George
    Granite Bay, CA.
    Kitfox Light Squared
    912ULS Tri Gear

My YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Skipatrol View Post
    You should also compare the Grand Rapid Technologies Sport Ex 7" and 10". I just installed the 7" (About $2,500) and it works very well and is easy to see in bright sunlight. They also provide FREE database updates, while my old Garmin GPS updates were fairly expensive. Here is the new Sport Ex in my new panel. https://photos.app.goo.gl/vjvkjWQxA8qSptLT9
    Thanks I'll check them out.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Harlan - I installed the Sport EX as well and have been impressed with the unit and the customer support. I have not flown with it yet but got to know it pretty well getting it installed, running, updated and setting the user defined variables. It is a tough decision but you have time to find what fits your needs.

Thanks Darrell.
    Coming from 33 years of flying a six pack these new electronics give me a headache just studying them. haha.
    Best part I see is I've still got my six pack on the screen somewhere if I need them.
    Edit: I really do look forward to learning the new to me screens it just a lot of change .
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Another option is send Kitfox a note and get a quote on each system, could probably get a quote from SteinAir too. I went with Garmin, between the two is was about a push. Then study the database upgrade costs, are you using foreflight now and would you still need that, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Meyer View Post
    Another option is send Kitfox a note and get a quote on each system, could probably get a quote from SteinAir too. I went with Garmin, between the two is was about a push. Then study the database upgrade costs, are you using foreflight now and would you still need that, etc.

I didn't know Kitfox was a Dynon dealer, I thought they just sold Garmin. I priced the complete panel deal they have but it is out of my reach.

What I have found so far is the different screens and everything you need are pretty equally priced.
    Harlan and Susan Payne
    Sold Piper Archer

Quote Originally Posted by Kitfox Pilot View Post
    What I have found so far is the different screens and everything you need are pretty equally priced.
    There is a lot more than price to consider.

Two things swayed me to Garmin:
    1. Garmin designed the G3X line from from their certified avionics, and they let the G3X design team have freedom to add things that would be difficult with certified.
    2. John McBean had installed both brands (around 2014) and said the Garmin screen was brighter and crisper. It does better in direct light.
    Phil Nelson
    A&P-IA, Maintenance Instructor
    KF 5 Outback, Cont. IO-240
    Flying since 2016