Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Weird tach indication problem

Default Re: Weird tach indication problem

I ordered what the GRT document listed (10k ohm resistor 1/4 watt) for the 912/914. When I install the B&C, I'll install this. I assume it goes between the engine tach lead and the GRT. Is this correct?

Since these look like they belong on a circuit board, is there a particular method for splicing them into the wire?
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

I don’t know about the GRT System, I had to put mine in like this

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Since these look like they belong on a circuit board, is there a particular method for splicing them into the wire?
    I would cut the resistor leads to about 1/2" in length, then bend them back on themselves 180 degrees to make a 1/4" hook. Do the same with the wires you want to connect. Slip three lengths of heat shrink tubing over the wires: two small pieces to cover the joints and one longer piece to cover the entire assembly plus 1/2" on each end. Hook the wires and resistor leads over each other and press them tightly together. Hold the assembly straight and solder the joints. Shrink the short pieces of heat shrink over the soldered joints, then the longer piece over the assembly. Support the assembly at each end and in the middle so the resistor leads can't bend due to harness weight or vibration.
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings

Maverick - yes, put the resistor in the one lead going to the EIS. Follow Eric's instruction and all will be well. The GRT EIS uses only one of the tach leads off of a 912 so Spook's schematic won't be the one to use in this instance.

My only concern is soldering. I can never seem to get the solder to grab onto the wires. I hate doing it. I don't know how electronics guys do it. Any tips for this? I've got my resistors and will do this once it gets too warm to fly which won't be long. . . unfortunately.
    EAA, AOPA
    KF5 (N49FK & N36KJ)
    Phoenix, AZ

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    My only concern is soldering. I can never seem to get the solder to grab onto the wires.
    Make sure you use flux (not the flux capacitor - soldering flux) and tin the wires before trying to connect the stuff up. Tinning the wire will let the solder "grab the wires" when you go to connect them.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

As Gary said, flux is your friend. I use often a flux pen like this when soldering wires (never use corrosive plumber's flux). You can't apply too much.

Be sure you're applying the soldering iron to the joint, heating it up, then melting the solder into the joint. Don't carry solder to the joint on the iron tip. You can apply a little solder to the iron tip to help it transfer heat to the joint, but you must add fresh solder once the joint is hot.

Be sure your iron tip is clean and tinned with solder. If solder balls up on the tip and doesn't coat it, it's not going to transfer heat well. It can be cleaned with a ball of brass wool or a damp sponge (a small tuna can makes a good brass wool holder). Don't use anything more abrasive than brass wool or you'll remove the factory plating on the tip and it'll be ruined.

If you want to make it easy to get a clean and well-tinned tip, get some tip tinner; it chemically cleans the tip and tins it at the same time. Just roll the hot tip around in the tinner for a few seconds, and voila!
    Eric Page
    Building: Kitfox 5 Safari | Rotax 912iS | Dynon HDX
    Member: EAA Lifetime, AOPA, ALPA
    ATP: AMEL | Comm: ASEL, Glider | ATCS: CTO
    Map of Landings