Kitfox Aircraft Stick and Rudder Stein Air Grove Aircraft TCW Technologies Dynon Avionics AeroLED MGL Avionics Leading Edge Airfoils Desser EarthX Batteries Garmin G3X Touch
Page 25 of 60 FirstFirst ... 1521222324252627282935 ... LastLast

Thread: Geek's STi Build

Default Re: Geek's STi Build

Looking good Gary. Good progress.

DesertFox4
    Admin.
    7 Super Sport
    912 ULS Tri-gear

Quote Originally Posted by DesertFox4 View Post
    Looking good Gary. Good progress.
    Thanks Steve. Started the port wing today and as with all things where you have done it once, the second time seems easier.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning
    Leavenworth (Not the Prison), WA
    Kitfox STi in Building Stage

Covered the lower half of the port wing, let it sit for 24 hours and then this morning I tightened it up. Then came the part of plumbing and installing wiring in the wing. I installed the mast as well as the pitot tube/AOA itself. Ran the tubing to the outboard edge of the wing where I will route it down the aft spar later. Installed the Outside Air Temp (OAT) sensor and ran the wiring for that to the outboard edge of the wing. Installed the magnetometer and its wiring cable. At the outside edge of the wing, I combined the OAT, Magnetometer and the Landing/Navigation light wiring all into one covered cable that will route down the aft spar along with the pitot tubing. Next up will be to go back and check/test all the wiring so I am certain it's all good. Once that's done, I'll cover the top of the port wing.

Oratex 5.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

As usual, work has managed to get in the way to any real meaningful progress on the Kitfox but finally got back to the shop. Finished all the plumbing and wiring in the left wing and got it fully covered. So now the left and right wing are completely covered. I am still on the fence about stitching the fabric to the ribs. I have read where the Oratex adhesive is more than sufficient and other places where it's just a good idea to do it. Any observations on this are welcomed. Doing a bit more research and have a call into Lars (Mr. Oratex himself) to discuss that but he is at Osh so he and I will talk after he gets home. (Note that when I emailed him, he was in Germany but willing to call me to talk. Just couldn't see bothering him while he was on vacation so we agreed to talk after Osh. He has been very responsive to questions and such) I also installed the trim booster brackets between the elevator pushrod and the flaps. Added in the kit hose clamps after Hysoling the bracket and safety wired the screws. This mod helps with the back pressure on the stick during landing/approach. There is a spring to be installed between the bracket and the fitting on the flap control. Right now I am leaving the spring off as words of wisdom from the factory suggest that it's better to wait till after the final rigging of the controls to where you want them in flight test before adding in the spring.

Left Wing Top 1.jpgLeft Wing Top 2.jpgTrim Boost 1.jpgTrim Boost 2.jpgTrim Boost 3.jpg
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Gary, a few notes.

On the rib stitching, I suggest contacting the DAR you plan to use and see if he will sign it off without stitching. If he won't, it doesn't matter what Lars recommends.

On the trim assist spring... stretching it and getting it hooked is a bear. Recommend to remove the eye bolt from the bell crank, hook the spring onto both ends, then stretching it and inserting the eye bolt. It may take a few tries... but it is easier than stretching and trying to hook it on.

Progress is looking good.
    Ralph
    Kitfox 3 flying
    Building Kitfox SS7 (RockFox)
    915iS Engine
    Building Partner Victor V

Gary it’s looking good. The only complaint I have with Oratex is when your wing gets cold you will more than likely have some loose areas that will need to be re-shrunk. Cory spent hours shrinking every square inch and didn’t have to come back. I had to re-shrink mine when winter arrived. I found the iron is best to get it the tightest, or cover every square inch with the heat gun.

In the build manual under covering, rib stitching is “recommended” but it’s not required.

We didn’t rib stitch our wings because of this and the recommendation of Lars. I know this is a sensitive subject but we have not had an issues and no regrets in this regard. Did have some finish tape on my tail started to lift. Was going to just replace it but decided to try and save it. Happy to report my glue is still good. I taped off the area and used a small model paint brush to apply some glue on the tail and was able to get the lifting finish tape to reattach.
    Dustin Dickerson

Building 7ss STI x 2
    Oratex
    29" shock monster
    EP912STI 155hp
    Garmin
    N33TF......FLYING!
    N53TF......FLYING!

Quote Originally Posted by rv9ralph View Post
    Gary, a few notes.

On the rib stitching, I suggest contacting the DAR you plan to use and see if he will sign it off without stitching. If he won't, it doesn't matter what Lars recommends.

On the trim assist spring... stretching it and getting it hooked is a bear. Recommend to remove the eye bolt from the bell crank, hook the spring onto both ends, then stretching it and inserting the eye bolt. It may take a few tries... but it is easier than stretching and trying to hook it on.

Progress is looking good.
    Thanks Chief.... good tip on the spring. I thought about that and having to get a grip on it with the fuselage all covered and what not. Your idea makes good sense. As for the DAR, that's probably a good idea as well. Have heard some stories about DARs who are not familiar with Oratex and have some wonky thoughts on it. Guess the first thing I need to do is find one. I looked for an EAA Advisor back when I started and there just isn't one around here. Hopefully a DAR won't be a similar experience.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowrider View Post
    Gary it’s looking good. The only complaint I have with Oratex is when your wing gets cold you will more than likely have some loose areas that will need to be re-shrunk. Cory spent hours shrinking every square inch and didn’t have to come back. I had to re-shrink mine when winter arrived. I found the iron is best to get it the tightest, or cover every square inch with the heat gun.

In the build manual under covering, rib stitching is “recommended” but it’s not required.

We didn’t rib stitch our wings because of this and the recommendation of Lars. I know this is a sensitive subject but we have not had an issues and no regrets in this regard. Did have some finish tape on my tail started to lift. Was going to just replace it but decided to try and save it. Happy to report my glue is still good. I taped off the area and used a small model paint brush to apply some glue on the tail and was able to get the lifting finish tape to reattach.
    Dustin - Yeah I was looking at your plane at the Fly In and confirmed what I thought you had said in your build - that the stitching was left off. I'll have that chat with Lars here in a bit and see what he says as well. I did the same as your brother - pre-shrunk the Oratex with the gun and then used the iron set at 160 degrees C and did it again. That really did tighten things up nicely. Be interesting to see what happens here this Winter when the wings see some cold. I have been pretty impressed with the glue and its ability to stick after you heat it up. I have used the same idea with the small brush on some of the reinforcing tape around things that stick out and it seems to work really well.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning

I've got a DAR for you. Nate Ashton used him and I've coordinated to have him inspect my plane.

Did you do any peel tests to validate your technique, adhesive etc? I've done the math and with my peel tests I'm at a 10X margin for strength, so I've got no plans to rib stitch.

I'm back from my first two week rotation and I'm headed to Wenatchee tomorrow. Let me know if you'll be around. I could make the extra few miles and meet up with you.
    Kitfox 5 (under construction)
    Commercial SE/ME, CFII

I'm here all day Alex. Would be great to meet up.

G
    Gary (Geek) Phenning