PDA

View Full Version : Zenair #1450 Floats KF7 SS

korbike
07-15-2019, 07:39 AM
Hi all,
I built and installed Zenair #1450 Straight floats on my KF7 SS
Much thanks to this site and the float enthusiast here. I am very pleased with the way it turned out, prop clearance, w + b, floating with wings folded, handling on the water, etc. I will be trying different settings to get the best combination for my set up. Also attached some video links on the performance. Thanks again for a such a great resource and the people who make it. All the best David Price

Kitfox 7 SS, 912 uls
Warp Drive 3 blade taper tip 70" 11.5 deg 95 kt @5500 90 kts @5200 ias
Float to wing angle 3 deg (changing to 4)
Step 4" aft rear most C of G
23" frame above floats
6'-3" float center
EW trigear #830
EW 1450S #930

https://youtu.be/oAp4cNwUmN4

https://youtu.be/Pxv4X7bLFjE

https://youtu.be/dpvjoQ03494

efwd
07-15-2019, 08:29 AM
Man, that thing looks terrific. I want floats now. ;)

DesertFox4
07-15-2019, 08:40 AM
Great job David. Beautiful Kitfox and the performance looks impressive. Well done. Thanks for the videos and will be watching for more water adventures in the future.

PapuaPilot
07-15-2019, 03:02 PM
That looks really nice. Thanks for putting all the numbers and dimensions on the forum. I'm curious how adding one degree more of deck angle will help; let us know.

I flew floats exclusively for 7 years and got about 3000 hours. I would like to consider doing this someday. How long did it take you to make the floats?:D

efwd
07-15-2019, 06:19 PM
Wow, I missed the "I built" statement. Those are really nice David.

korbike
07-16-2019, 05:26 AM
Thanks guys,
the floats are not that difficult, took about 2 months of steady work, the second one goes much faster. Gluing and riveting takes about a week each float. These are the straight floats so I would think amphibs would be about another month, at least for me.
The reason for adding another degree to the deck angle, right now I have to lift the plane with elevator, when I'm solo no problem, popping the flaps works great, however with a passenger I end up dragging the ends of the floats and that slows things down. The most weight I have had on floats is half fuel and 380 lbs pilot and passenger. The best time with that weight has been about 15 sec with light wind. Flying on the river has many challenges and I'm new to this water flying so I'm sure I have lots to learn. I'll be sure to report back here and on the videos on the changes with the deck angle and ventral fin. We need more float plane pilots so hopefully having some numbers for the KF 7 will help.

All the best,
David Price

efwd
07-16-2019, 07:46 AM
I would jump into that float plane stuff but as I understand it, California pretty much prohibits landing on lakes. They must be able to do it up north or the guys building the Icon A5 wouldn't have chosen California I suppose. Congrats for getting into float flying, fly safe.

korbike
07-17-2019, 12:25 PM
Eddie,
I believe your right CA is not that friendly to float planes, Isabella Lake maybe. Colorado is worse and does not allow any float flying. We have plenty of water here in TN, and generally speaking all water ways are open to float flying, just bring Kitfox and Floats! All the best, David

korbike
08-08-2019, 03:55 PM
The ventral fin in my opinion, helps a great deal with the yaw. Banking right or left the nose stays on point. It fly's much like it did without the floats. Kitfox sells the tube frame and I covered it with the poly fiber system. If you buy one I would suggest they leave the front attach tabs about an inch longer and not drilled, other wise you may end up bending it to fit.
Regarding the 4.5 degree change from the float to the bottom of the fuselage at the door, I originally had 3 degrees. 4.5 or even 5 would not be to much in my opinion, the 1450's are pretty long so the increase in the angle helps lift the tail. Less water drag on takeoff allows for a quicker takeoff and greater payload. YMMV

All the best, David

korbike
09-05-2019, 05:23 PM
Here is another float video for those interested, not much technical data but some beautiful scenery in the Smokey Mountains. Earlier versions of this video were blocked, copy right issues, my apologies, should be working now.

https://youtu.be/gD_rvEzAy1A

All the best, David

DesertFox4
09-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the new video David. Perfect area for floats. The Smokey Mountains are beautiful.😀

Curious. Do you have a lift for the Kitfox to raise it out of the water when not flying it?

korbike
09-06-2019, 06:06 AM
Hello Steve,
Yes, almost all the docks here have lifts. I did have to modify it a little by adding a support for the spreader bar and a plywood pad for the floats, but nothing difficult. I've been pretty impressed with how well it protects the plane in wind and rain as well.

All the best, David

rawheels
09-06-2019, 07:37 AM
That is pretty awesome. I'd love to see a video on folding and extending the wings when on the water.

korbike
09-06-2019, 07:46 AM
Will do, I’ll put one together next time I’m out.

All the best, David

ken nougaret
09-06-2019, 09:44 AM
Me too. Very cool!

DesertFox4
09-06-2019, 12:16 PM
Thanks David. That looks like a very secure home for the Kitfox.

Wondering if the 4 degrees of incidence is sufficient after flying it awhile or are you still contemplating another slight adjustment. From the video, it looks like you unstick pretty quickly even with two aboard.

Love the videos. Have fun.

efwd
09-06-2019, 03:08 PM
That is a fun video. I love the white Kitfoxes. Yours on floats is sweet!.

korbike
09-14-2019, 08:38 AM
Thanks guys,
I think the 4.5 deg I have now is fine for the straight 1450's @ #1430 gross, if I had the amphibs or wanted to carry #1550, I think I would go at least 5.5 deg. (just seems more important to get off the water quickly, than have 5 mph more in top speed)
Regarding the step location i'm at 20" back from the leading edge or 4" aft of rear c of g. My thinking now is that 4.5" may be a little closer to the sweet spot. I might make a change this winter, but the more I fly it the more I get used to it, so maybe not. I should have an "on the water wing folding" video out in a week so. All the best, David

DesertFox4
09-14-2019, 07:31 PM
Much appreciated David. Sure looks like fun.

korbike
09-15-2019, 04:23 PM
Thanks Steve,
Sure is, the only thing that would make it more fun is having more Kitfox’s on Floats around here to fly with:-)

River Fox
09-16-2019, 11:06 AM
Hello guys! My first post/comment on the forum.. I'm traveling to NH this weekend to become part of the KF family and pick up a Model IV-1200. It is on grove gear and comes with a set of Avid Amphibs. I'm breaking ground on an open front hangar and would like someone to tell me what the overall height of the KF will be sitting on the amphibs. I don't want the hangar to be excessively tall, just enough to have comfortable clearance on the floats. Any insight is greatly appreciated.

korbike
09-17-2019, 01:03 PM
Hello River fox,
I have a KF7 SS with Zenair 1450 straight floats, tail height is around 120" with the floats on the ground. Im sure the IV is different, it will also make a difference how they are mounted. You may want to start a new thread under general discussion. There are people here that have IV's with floats. Welcome to the KF family! All the best, David

River Fox
09-17-2019, 05:20 PM
New thread created!

Thanks

korbike
09-25-2019, 06:09 AM
Hi guys, video of folding the wings on the water, all the best, David

https://youtu.be/NmAhhWlxYWc

DesertFox4
09-25-2019, 10:03 AM
Very stable on those floats even with wings folded and walking aft of C.O.B.
You’ve got a controlled and thorough procedure.

First thought though was , “don’t drop those front spar pins”! Splash!
Might want to order a couple spare just in case along with a couple backup safety clips.😉

Tech question: my impression after looking over Zenair’s site is that the float to fuselage mounting brackets are provided by the customer. Question is, did you have to manufacture your fuselage attachment brackets or does Zenair now make them available for the Kitfox later models? Also, when you make adjustments to your angle of incidence, where do you make that change? Hopefully you don’t have to make new mounting brackets each time.
Thanks for the videos and your feedback David.

korbike
09-25-2019, 12:11 PM
Thanks Steve,
I've thought the same thing about those pins, (I do have some spares) cant tell you how many tools have fallen in. I keep a large magnet on the dock!

Regarding the mounting brackets, Zenair sells the "KF kit" that has the machined parts and the Kitfox factory sells the one missing attach bracket for the front. It attaches to the front landing gear bolt holes in the frame. To make adjustments yes, I had to order a couple new parts $65.00 from Zenair but it turned out to be the easiest way. I just was not comfortable putting in extra holes, I expect it could be done but..... Anyway a 5/8" drop in the rear mount added 1.5 deg.
All the best, David

DesertFox4
09-25-2019, 01:00 PM
Thanks David. Great info. Somehow I knew you would have spar pins.👍