PDA

View Full Version : Insert too Long Question

John Rockit
07-13-2019, 05:43 PM
Ordered & just received parts (Spar & Insert) for my Classic 4 Speedster - turns out the parts are for the new series 7 ... insert is about 6.75 inches longer / spar is thicker (wall dims) but same diameter - anybody else have a similar prob?? If so, how did you resolve the problem? It would be nice to just 'split the difference' with the insert (extra 3+ inches at each end) / more rivets / simple fix?? but will do whatever's necessary to get back on track!!

Thanks

John Rockit

HighWing
07-13-2019, 08:06 PM
Curious. Is the part you received the one the factory supplies for a Model IV repair or did they send you the wrong part?

John Rockit
07-14-2019, 09:20 AM
Curious. Is the part you received the one the factory supplies for a Model IV repair or did they send you the wrong part?

Not sure - got the insert directly from the folks at KF - I'm figuring it's the wrong part … sure hope I don't have to wait another year to get the right part

Esser
07-28-2019, 02:27 PM
Let me know how you make out. I need one of these too for my model 6

David47
07-28-2019, 02:52 PM
It’s a stronger and stiffer spar so would have thought it should be ok. But to confirm and get advice on installation, call the factory. They are there to help you.

John Rockit
07-29-2019, 09:36 AM
Let me know how you make out. I need one of these too for my model 6

Everything seems to have worked out ... got a note from John @ KF about it - ended up cutting the insert down to the same size as the Mod 4's insert / 'notched' it with a skinny blade / cleaned it up with some 320 / 360 / 400 & denatured alcohol / slid the parts together & rivetted them together as per inst for the Mod 4 (Speedster)! Hope to get the Epoxy on it today. Just as a heads up, the parts are a little thicker (beefier) than on the Mod 4 (spar walls are thicker & so are the inserts) added just over a lb to the total weight of the based on the original - love it when a story has a happy ending

efwd
07-29-2019, 11:43 AM
That is great John. Glad the factory could clarify that.